Forum rules - please read before posting.

[Bug/Request] Notch Support - Black bars not taking mobiles with a notch in consideration

edited November 2019 in Engine development

Hi there!
I tried to recreate and post the most accurate picture of what's happening on my phone.

As you can see, the notch is invading the gameplay area, while there should be a black bar to compensate for the unusual aspect ratio (forced via AC to 2:1)

Both bars should be pushed to the right instead (or, to the left, when rotating the device)

While now my interface is perfectly centered, the black bars aren't.
Could you please release a hotfix for this?

Here are my Resolution and Presentation settings for Android
Unity v2019.2.9f1

I'm aware that I checked "render outside safe area", and it has to stay like that for devices who have exactly a 18:9 aspect ratio, to avoid further shrinking of the view area. Yet, the bars should be offset just a little bit away from the notch, since it's needlessly invading the play area.

Comments

• This is not a trivial change, though I will explore a couple of avenues.

• I do know :/
    Notches are a bit of a pain for developers :/
    Yet, I believe it's really one of those boring and time consuming things that has to be dealt with.
    Apologies for bringing it to the light 😅

• edited November 2019

Hi there Chris, I found this video, and I believe it could be useful to tackle this issue, as it exposes more info about the notch and it's in the APIs right now, even if the simulator will be officially available in the upcoming 2019.3:

https://youtu.be/KFJcMG3mlDA?t=707

• Please leave this with me. Notch support will be included in v1.70, as will a new component to set the min/max anchor points of UI RectTransforms relative to the safe area.

• That's great news!
    Thanks for your support Chris! :)