Forum rules - please read before posting.

Direct control method questions

I'm using Rewired and Direct Movement Method for my game, and it works really well. However, I have a small issue when going between scenes. If I move into a scene holding an arrow key or joypad stick, the character does not continue to move after the scene has loaded even when the key/stick is held down. If I release the key/stick and hit it again, it starts moving.

I'm not sure if this is a Rewired issue or if the scene load needs to re-confirm the input method before it can start moving the player? The cursor is also controlled with a joystick axis, and this works when being held in a direction between scene changes.

Another questions - maybe it should be in another thread - but is there a way to keep the direction of the player movement when changing camera angles? When changing camera angles while moving, the player turns sharply in a new direction caused by perspective shifts. I'd like to keep the character moving in the same direction while cameras are changing, only to change direction when the joystick/arrows are changed. Sort of like Tank Controls, but only while camera changes, if that makes sense. Do you think this is possible with some custom scripting or workarounds?

Comments

• edited September 2019

AC and Unity versions?

If I move into a scene holding an arrow key or joypad stick, the character does not continue to move after the scene has loaded even when the key/stick is held down

I can't recreate this with AC alone, so it may well be a Rewired issue. Try temporarily removing it to confirm.

What else are you doing in the ActionList that changes the scene? Is there any cutscene beforehand?

Is there a way to keep the direction of the player movement when changing camera angles?

As in, they maintain their direction until the input direction changes?

This should already be the case, automatically - so long as the camera switch is instantaneous, and occurs during gameplay. Make sure that the ActionList that houses your Camera: Switch Action has its When running field set to Run In Background.

• edited September 2019

Ah, this is great! I didn't know that Run in Background enabled maintaining direction. Yay!

I'll try to remove Rewired and see if it's acting up (probably is if you can't recreate). I'm on 2018.3.f7 and latest AC.

EDIT: Hmm, tried to remove Rewired and use the standard input method, and still need to re-input a movement key to make player move after a new scene is loaded. I have an OnStart action that looks at some variables etc on load, but even when setting this to run in background the player still stops on load.

• edited September 2019

Some more investigation: When using keyboard to control player, this works fine - you don't have to re-input the key to keep walking after scene load. But with a joypad the player stops on scene load and the joypad must be moved for the player to start moving again. This is with rewired disabled, just the default input manager settings. I'll try with another controller and see if the issue persists.

EDIT: The issue is the same with other controllers.

• Again though, AC version?

That this occurs with a controller suggests it may be down to the setup of the Horizontal/Vertical inputs in Unity's Input Manager. AC doesn't read where those inputs are coming from - just their values.

If tweaking their values doesn't improve things, post screens of them and I'll attempt a recreation.

• I'm on AC 1.69.2. I've tried messing around with Rewired and the Input Manager, but has not revealed anything that might cause this. Rewired reports that axis are moving when scene loads, so there is something that prevents the controls from working until they are reapplied.
    I tried loading the demo project from AC and change it to Direct Control. If you hold down a direction key (D for example) and hit play you can see that the player is not moving until you release the key and press it again (at least on my system, Windows 10). It's the same when using a controller, so I'm guessing this might be an AC issue?

• edited September 2019

I can't recreate such behaviour on OSX, so it may be platform-related.

I shall try this on Windows 10.

• I stand corrected - it's an AC issue, though seemingly only on Windows.

Will address as part of the next release.