Forum rules - please read before posting.

[Feature Request] More control on the Sound actions

Hi there!

I noticed this by chance: I was playing a music in a scene when suddenly the scene changed, and the music was affected by the sound reverb object.

Fields I'd appreciate to find in the action would be the buses and at least basic audiosource settings.

One solution could be having "audiosource profiles" (scriptableobjects) to be used in sound actions.
Or "Sound Categories", if you prefers so.

That would also be a nice way to implement pooling based on the sound category.

Or, have a database with "sounds" (loaded on demand, with a chance to purge them when not needed anymore), in a similar way that we have with Musics.

So, when choosing to play a sound, it can have specific parameters (2d->3D, pitch variation, panning, radius, etc.), and maybe also a category (which could also define the Mixer it gets played into)

Sound categories Ideas (but these could easily be scriptable objects, or Prefabs with an audiosource):

• UI
  • Speech
  • Ambient
  • Music
  • Stingers/Special SFX (Or "special" sounds that cause other mixers/categories to duck)
  • 2D sound simple
  • 3D sound simple
  • 2D sound + reverb
  • 3D sound + reverb

option to make the sound/audiosource not be destroyed when switching levels.

Comments

• Have you tried using Audio Mixer Groups?

These already offer greater control over audio playback. Having another system to do the same thing would be too much, I feel. A separate component, added onto a Sound object, could feasibly auto-assign a mixer group based on an enum value, but this wouldn't need to involve AC.

option to make the sound/audiosource not be destroyed when switching levels.

The Sound component has a Play scross scenes? field, but it's recommended to use the dedicated music/ambience Actions for sounds of those types.

• Sure, I know about those, this is not the first game I'm shipping :)
    I generally use a 3rd party audio system, either Master Audio (not my favorite) and Audio Toolkit (lean, compact, does its job beautifully with no whistles).

I'm actually using the actions, not the Sound component. But I'd like both control over the way the sound gets played, and using actions.

But... it gets messy to nest direct resource references inside actionlists, and it's a bit painful to pass such parameters via parameters.

I was trying to... ask to merge functionalities, or part of the basic functionalities of the above packages.

But, I guess, it would be just simpler to create Custom Actions to integrate such Systems.

Scenario: An actionlist which I don't want to keep among scenes, which plays a sound which travels among scenes (a separate, pooled object).

Yet, I'd have to completely give up at using AC sound/music System! :(