Forum rules - please read before posting.

[Issue] Save menu never appears

Hi there!

I'm having some hard time in making the Save Menu appear, both ingame and on Android.

I have some old savegames, which load correctly, but, it's been a while now that I can't save anywhere.

Am I missing something?

Here's my general configuration:

Save and Load button are basically identical. Yet, one appears with no issues even without any available savegame.

The Save button never appears.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks

Comments

• Have you played arround with the Position and Size dropdowns and sliders? I sometimes find elements getting so small they become invisible.

• Nope, I used the very same menu as the default one.
    Weird thing is: i duplicated the save menu button, and now it works.
    (maybe because the original one gets disabled by using the name?).

Yet, it saves the game in Unity, but does nothing on Android. :neutral:

• edited September 2019

The default Save button will be hidden if saving is prevented at the time the Pause menu is shown. This is typically the case when a gameplay-blocking ActionList is currently running.

See the Manual's "Saving and loading overview" chapter for more. The "AC Status" box, which details what ActionLists are currently running, can be enabled at the bottom of the Settings Manager.

• But, if that was the issue, it shouldn't be working on all platforms, right?

Discovery:

If I press the "Options/menu" shortcut key (only available on desktop/in the editor), I get ALL save buttons (the disabled, original one) shown, as opposed to just the extra one I added.

Which is definitely an unexpected behaviour (showing menu action vs shortcut key)

• If a blocking ActionList is running at the time the menu is turned on, the default Save button will be hidden. A shortcut key does not involve an ActionList - the menu Action does.

Call your Menu: Change state Action from an ActionList with a When running field set to Run In Background, and it should show - provided that no other gameplay-blocking ActionLists are running at the time.

• I'm probably missing something obvious.

I'm using the default UI which is shipped with AC, which of course puts the game in pause mode (iirc). I don't remember having tweaked it so... the save menu doesn't show right out of the box?

I will follow your hint and browse again the saving/loading part of the manual :)
    I guess there's a toggle to allow saving even when the game is not paused and I may have overlooked it :)

• edited September 2019

The game being paused is not the same as gameplay being blocked. The latter can occur when a cutscene runs, for example.

The Save button's visibility is not dependent on the game being paused.

• I see. Thanks for the clarification, I was making the wrong assumption.
    I will double check the ** When Running ** state of a few scripts :)