Forum rules - please read before posting.

BUG:Play:Music:Crossfade - "pop" sound on change

When music crossfades from one piece to another there is a pop sound, so the transistion is not smooth. The pop sounds do not exist in the original audio files. Audio files are in .ogg format.

Comments

• Unity 2018.3.6f1 Personal
    AC v1.66.7

• edited September 2019

You'll need to be more specific. This is a separate type of sound, or is it the start of the track played at the wrong volume?

Are you relying on audio mixer groups, and what is your "Music volume" level as set in the Options menu currently set to? I cannot recreate such an issue with the demo game's tracks, so it may be compression/format related.

• edited September 2019

This is a separate type of sound, or is it the start of the track played at the wrong volume?

I don't think I've mentioned volume and I don't know what you mean by "separate type of sound". I'll describe what I mean by "pop": Digital noise for a millisecond as one music track crossfades into another. Call it pop, blip, crack. It is an extra noise which is not in either of the original tracks and is happening as one transistions to another, at the joining moment I guess.

I don't know what audio mixer groups are so am proabaly not using them. Music volume is currently set to 0.588

Here is an image of an action running one of those crossfades:

I changed my music tracks from mp3 to ogg because mp3 was (and is known to in Unity) make a pop/crack sound when looping. ogg was recommended and eliminated the pop sound when looping. It is possible however that the format might not work well with the AC crossfades.

• edited September 2019

It is possible however that the format might not work will with however you have coded the crossfades.

It's not using any special tricks - the crossfade component is on a child of the MusicEngine prefab, but it's still using Unity's own AudioSource.

I was asking about volumes because reports about "pops" in the past have typically been about the volume just being incorrect for the first frame. In this case, if we're dealing with true digital noise, it may be a Unity issue.

So that we can isolate the issue, try both the demo game's tracks, and the latest AC in a duplicate project.

• Can't do that at this stage. I'm days away from releasing my game and don't want to mess about with upgrading AC at this time. Let's just put this on the backburner and I'll come back and update you about my findings later on.

• Just a small test. I tried using .wav files instead and still got the popping sound on Crossfade..