Forum rules - please read before posting.

Drag and Drop Interface - ActionList plays unprompted after dropping to deselect item

I discovered this while playing around with the drag and drop interface and I'm not sure what's going on:

If I drag an inventory item from the inventory and drop it somewhere that is NOT a hotspot, after a long pause, an ActionList related to that item will play, unprompted.

For example, I drag the item onto a random hotspot and the Unhandled interaction dialogue plays. That's correct. Then, if I drag the same item into space and just drop it like I want to deselect it, the Unhandled interaction will play after a pause.

If I examine the item in the inventory, an Examine actionlist runs with some player dialogue. Then, if I drag the item but drop it to deselect it, this time the Examine actionlist runs unprompted.

If the first thing I do at runtime is drag the item into space and drop it, the Examine actionlist is the one that plays unexpectedly.

Everything else works as expected. Any ideas?

Video here. E.g.,
Drag and drop at 0:18, ActionList runs at 0:32
Drop at 1:05, action at 1:17
Drop at 1:29, action at 1:52

AC 1.68.4
Unity 2018.3.7

My Settings Manager is all the defaults but I changed these:
Drag and drop Inventory interface - yes
Minimum drag = 2
Clicking an Item without dragging it Examines it? - yes

Comments

• From the looks of the video, it seems it occurs when you hover over a new Hotspot or inventory item - rather than waiting "X" seconds.

If you uncheck Clicking an item without dragging it Examines it?, do both issues stop?

Let's see a screenshot of your Inventory Manager (both the item's properties and the "global" settings), and the Settings Manager - there's not really such a thing as default values, since the New Game Wizard will make some changes when creating them.

• edited September 2019

Chris, you're absolutely right. No idea how I missed that. The actionlist runs when I mouse over any hotspot after dropping it, but not when I mouse over the inventory or another inventory item actually.

No, unchecking "Clicking an item without dragging it Examines it? did not solve the problem. Instead, the Unhandled actionlist plays consistently after dragging, dropping, and then touching a new hotspot.

If it's by any chance related, I've also changed the InventoryBox display type to Icon and Text, but the labels are not showing.

Inventory Manager and Settings Manager:
    https://imgur.com/a/JRtBNDE

• I'm afraid I can't reproduce any such issue.

If you can create a .unitypackage file of your game's eight Managers, the two "Water bottle" ActionLists, a sample scene to test with, and any associated UI files (if using Unity UI for menu display), PM it to me and I'll see what I can find.

• Weird. Drag and drop works as expected if I use the default AC inventory, so maybe there's something up with my custom Unity UI one. Thanks, Chris, but I don't want to waste your time with that, as curious as I am to know what's up. I'll work around it with a different interface or by modding the AC inventory.

• I wouldn't say no to learning more about it, as I can't tell from this if it's a bug with AC, or just an issue with your own UI canvas.

Does your custom Menu have a "RectTransform boundary" assigned, which only covers the top portion of the screen?

The default Inventory menu also has a Unity UI-variant - do you encounter the same issue with that?