Forum rules - please read before posting.

[BUG]Turnfloat has strange behavior with 'Tank Controls' + 'Input Magnitude Affects Speed' turned on

Version: Tested on 1.67.5 and 1.68.4.
Unity Version: 2019.1 and 2019.2

Bug: After pressing and releasing the turn button, the turn float variable suddenly goes to 0 before returning to the correct state. This creates a visible 'pop' in the animation, as it quickly goes back to idle.
Here's a GIF of the process happening, pay attention to the blend tree states.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Create a Player, set Controls to Tank and turn on 'Input Magnitude Affects Speed'
2. Add a blend tree between Speed/Turn Float that has 0,0 as Idle and 0,-1 as Turn Left and 0,1 as Turn Right.
3. Try to rotate in the same place.

Notes: In the case of my character, root motion is turned on, but I think this happens without root motion too.

I can send you a test project I did to try to reproduce the bug if you want, just let me know.

Thanks,

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @2dchaos. Thank you for the clear steps!

I will attempt a recreation, but can you also share details on your input setup? A screenshot showing your Horizontal input from Unity's Input Manager will be best.

• @ChrisIceBox Hi Chris, thank you for the quick response, AC is a wonderful tool. ;)

Unity 2019.1.0f2 - AC 1.67.5

Unity 2019.2.2f1 - AC 1.68.4

Here's the Horizontal axis for both versions of the project I have, they're both on default settings mostly, but the first has some of AC Inputs set.
    I tried changing some values on Gravity and DeadZone but to no avail, unfortunately.

• All right, thanks for the details. And as you have a pair defined for both, you're testing this with the keyboard or a controller?

• edited August 2019

Tested with both now, it seems this problem only happens with the Keyboard. Weirdly enough, if turn speeds is set at low number like 0.5 there's also no noticeable jump.
    After doing some more tests it seems the issue is related to having Gravity > 0.1 in the input and having the 'Input Magnitude Affects Speed' option set. ^^

• Yes, a larger gravity value will reduce the issue. I'll look into a better fix for the upcoming v1.69.0 update.

• All right, thank you so much @ChrisIceBox ^^