Forum rules - please read before posting.

Too many variables

Hello community,

I would like to ask you what's your take on this matter:

Issue:
* Too many GLOBAL variables.
* There's no way to change LOCAL variables from outsite the scene.
* I quite often need to do actions based on actions in other scenes.
* The only solution seems to be using a lot of GLOBAL variables.
* The list gets long and messy. It can be filtered by Description, but not in the list in ActionList Editor.

Example: Change behaviour on a object after a newspaper's article has been read in another scene.
There's a bunch of stuff like this.

What's your approach? Thanks for sharing.

Comments

• I guess most people making big games have the same problem. In my last project I'm around 150 global variables and having in consideration I use Local and now component variables whenever possible.

Is unavoidable having lots when variables on scene cannot be accessed.

I'm not sure about this, but maybe if you can temporary load an additional scene you could check a component variable. Deserves checking.

The only regular advise I can give that I can think right now is always use Integers instead of Bools for story events... "0=Undiscovered newspaper 1=Discovered newspaper 2= Readed newspaper 3= already readed neswspaper 4= Other action based on readed newspaper has been done for the first time 5= That last action has been attempted to do it again"

• edited August 2019

Hi, can you please elaborate on using the component variables?

Yes, I totally agree. Integeres are much better way for these type of actions.

I've just found out I can use slashes to divide the variables into submenus in the ActionList Editor. For example chapter/scene/variableName label will divide into chapter > scene submenus.