Forum rules - please read before posting.

Upgrading AC without prefabs

Hi,

I was wondering if it's ok to upgrade AC to a newer version, but without importing some of the prefabs (in my case just the cutscene prefab)?

At some stage in my project, I must have had overwritten the original Cutscene prefab with some extra settings like "Use Parameters" selected and with "Constant ID" component added. Upgrading AC and overwriting the prefab disables "Use Parameters" and gets rid of the "Constant ID" component which creates a lot of problems in my scenes. Essentially, I lose all links that Asset ActionLists may have to the in scene Cutscenes, since "Constant ID" isn't there.

I've tried importing new AC version without the Cutscene prefab, which seems to do the trick. It all works well, but since I'm still pretty new to Unity, I don't know if it may result in some problems later down the line.

If it helps, here are my Unity and AC versions:
Unity: 2018.2.18f1
AC: 1.67.5

AC I wish to upgrade to: 1.68.4

Comments

• v1.68.0 introduced the new "Variables" prefab type, but the Cutscene prefab was unchanged. You'll be fine in this case.

Note that it's possible to detach scene objects from their linked prefabs via the "Break Prefab Instance" Unity toolbar item, but that's removed in Unity 2018.3. From this version of Unity onwards, however, AC disconnects prefabs automatically upon creation.

• Ahh, I didn't know you can unlink the prefabs, but it might quite hard to go over every single one of them at this stage.

Thank you, though! I went ahead and updated AC without the Cutscene prefab. It seems to be all good.