Forum rules - please read before posting.

Making adventure/platformer/fighting hybrid - advice, experience, addons?

Hello Community,

I’m considering engine choice for a game that would like to develop in future, when I acquire enough skill. Though it would be upsetting to waste time on learning something that is not suitable for my idea at all. Hence are my questions.

1) Can I make a mixed-genre game with Unity and AC? I know this question has been asked like thousands of times and I've read other members’ topics on the forum. However, I’m interested if anyone has actually MADE something like an adventure/platformer/fighting hybrid successfully with AC and side plugins/assets. If yes, please share your experience. What plugins, assets and scripts compatible with AC did you use? Which of them are free and which are not?

2) The game that I’d like to develop will inspire from such titles as The Cat Lady (side view, flat characters, movement only in X coordinate)

https://ibb.co/ByNSyTY

and Limbo (scrollable parallax backgrounds, platforms, running, jumping from ledges, picking up and using objects etc.).

https://ibb.co/3B9CGs4

While developers of Limbo included complex physics in the game, I’d like to fake it up somehow, for instance, by making scenarios like ‘if a character doesn’t take this object and steps in that place, this and that happens’ and lots of cutscenes (deaths, falls etc.). Is that possible at all with AC and some additional addons to Unity? Which ones? Please list the checked addons that you are personally well familiar of.

THANK YOU for your understanding and friendly advice!

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @IndraAnagram.

To be clear: AC is intended for traditional adventure games - not platformers nor fighting games. To create such a hybrid game would involve a lot of custom integration work and scripting to get it working with other assets that handle those particular aspects.

AC does offer ways to merge itself with other systems - see the Manual's "Integrating other gameplay" chapter - but if your game is heavily reliant on such systems, attempting to use AC just for a portion of it may be more trouble than its worth.

I would certainly recommend starting with the non-adventure elements first - i.e. the platforming and fighting - and getting those off the ground before attempting to merge with AC.

• Thank you, @ChrisIceBox! Your advice certainly makes sense. Any platforming and fighting addons that you know are working with the current version?

• Not that I'm aware of.

• Maybe someone who has successfully integrated AC and external addons to Unity will comment on this.

• Ac works great in combination with other plugins and tools. I have used many different tools in combination with AC. AC is flexible enough that it works with pretty much anything but getting things to work seamlessly together could require a bit of work.

Before you try this, you should be very familiar with Unity and C#. By your comments so far, I kind of assume you're not, so that should be your first step in getting your project off the ground. Then you'll have the skills to be able to integrate almost anything you want with AC.

• Thank you, @hightreason! What genres have you combined in your game(s)? What different tools compatible with AC did you exactly use?

• Quite a few. Here you can find a free game in which I combine AC with a platformer/fighting game: https://stand-off-software.itch.io/youre-my-hero

Keep in mind that game was made in 2 weeks for a jam, and it's very unpolished, but it does combine those elements.

In my commercial games, I have combined AC with rogue-like dungeon crawler, stealth game, and RPG.

For most of these, I did use other assets from the asset store for the other game type's functionality, but I don't know if I should name them because that kind of misses the point of what I am saying. What I am trying to say is that you can combine almost anything with AC if you have the knowledge to do it because AC does not prevent you in any way from using other tools and assets along with it. Compatibility is not an issue. But integration can take some work, so you should have the basic knowledge of Unity and C# to be able to do this.

• edited July 2019

Ok, @hightreason, I think I got your point. Of course, I should become well familiar with how Unity works. However I asked for examples of assets that you and other hybrid game developers have personally used. I don't think this information will prevent me from learning Unity or C# anyhow :D Thank you for your reply and the link to your game, though!