Forum rules - please read before posting.

Duplicating Interactions?

edited October 2014 in Engine development
Is this unsupported?

I've been duplicating some interactions to try and speed up my workflow, as it does take a while to set them up and in this case I have a bunch of very similar ones (same ActionLists just different parameters in each action), but I noticed that once I started making changes to the duplicates, these changes also applied to the previous duplicates as well as the source interaction.

So to make it clearer let's say I have InteractionA and InteractionB which I created from scratch then I duplicate InteractionB twice and rename the new ones to InteractionC and InteractionD. If I now go in and edit some parameter in an Action of InteractionD this will be mirrored in InteractionC and InteractionB

So it's almost like they're references rather than cloned copies.

I also tried creating a new interaction and then just copy pasting the interaction component from the source interaction. Even that way of doing it demonstrated the same behaviour which I thought was quite weird.

Comments

• I had the same sort of question. Chris answered it here:

When you copy the actual action elements from within the ActionList Editor you should not find the problem though.
  • @Xidore is right - it's a workaround that has to be there basically because of the way Unity handles lists of ScriptableObject within MonoBehaviour.  Right-clicking within the ActionList Editor will let you select all Actions to copy at once, so it's hopefully not too much of a pain - but there is a reason for it.
  • Awesome, as long as there's a way to do it, that's perfectly fine, cheers guys
  • edited August 2015
    Is there any possibility that this will change to being able to duplicate right in the hierarchy anytime soon? 

Maybe a copy button in the game editor?

cheers
  • edited August 2015
    Hmm, isn't it already possible, at least with cutscenes? I duplicated a lot of cutscenes recently, without problems.
    edit: Yep, just tested it, duplicating interactions in AC 1.47 works!
  • It's true - this was seen to a couple of updates ago.