Forum rules - please read before posting.

Making a seamless custom jump animation in 2d

Hey! I'm trying to make the character jump over a hole in my 2d point and click interaction style game, using sprites unity animations. After the player clicks on a hotspot to start the jump, i have a custom animation which makes it look like the character jumps but i don't move the actual player object. But after the animation i have to teleport the player object seamlessly to where the jump animation landed, while resetting the player animation back to idle. So the action list is : play custom animation(wait for finish) > teleport player object to marker > reset animation to idle. Unfortunately the teleporting and the resetting doesn't happen at the same time, even when i use the run in parallel action there is some flickering, so it seems like either the resetting to idle happens before the teleporting or the last frame of the jump animation is visible after the teleporting.

So I wanted to ask in case there is a solution to make this "fake jump" completely seamless?

Comments

• It's a tricky problem, and not one limited to AC, I imagine.

You could try using an animation event in the jump itself to trigger a separate ActionList asset that teleports the player, however I'd first try out a separate animation in which the character doesn't move sideways, and then move the player at the same time as you play the animation.

If you attach a Moveable component to the Player, you can use the Object: Transform Action to move him by a set amount. You can use an animation curve to control the exact motion over time, but it might also be worth seeing if Timeline is appropriate here.

• Thanks Chris, i will try it and will report any results!