Forum rules - please read before posting.

New menu does not exist in loaded saved game

edited May 2019 in Technical Q&A

This may be a somewhat specific case, but I found that adding a menu to my game (through menu manager) after it has been built/published is problematic.

To elaborate, the new menu shows up when a new game is started, but if a session is loaded from a saved game, it does not appear. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Comments

• Do you mean that you're modifying the Menu Manager through script, or that you're working with a new build but old save game files?

Is the Menu listed in PlayerMenus after the load? You can do a null check with:

AC.Menu myMenu = AC.PlayerMenus.GetMenuWithName ("MyNewMenu");
    if (myMenu == null) Debug.Log ("Menu not found!");

Loading a save game reverts menu visibility states, but should only affect those that were present at the time of the save. What's the Menu's appear type? Have you tried manually unlocking / turning it on through the Menu: Changes state Action?

• Hi Chris,
    Yes, it is a new build loading old save game files.

I'm not really sure where to put that null check, but in my testing, I've tried simply to add a basic "During Gameplay" menu with a background texture showing in the corner of the screen.

After making a build, I can see this menu when I enter the initial main menu. But once I choose to load a previously saved game file, the scene that's loaded does not show the new menu.

Hope that clarifies it.

• edited May 2019

It does, but my first suggestion is still to try manually showing it. Purely as a test, try using a Menu: Change state Action in the loaded scene's OnLoad cutscene that unlocks this new menu.

What version of AC are you using now, and what version/platform were you using at the time the old saves were made?

Also, is this an AC menu, or one rendered with Unity UI? If the latter, what is the result of temporarily switching its Source to Adventure Creator?

• Ok, so adding an onLoad action to unlock it does make it appear as expected.

But, I suspect there's a better way than to add this manually to each scene?
    :
    And, for you other questions::::, the versions are consistent and I am using AC menu as the source.

• Yes, but which version?

But, I suspect there's a better way than to add this manually to each scene?

Sure - this was just a test. Try moving the Action to a new ActionList asset, and assign that in your Load menu element's ActionList after load field.

• oh, sorry... the version is 1.56g.

Unity version is 5.6.0 on Windows.