Forum rules - please read before posting.

Player Animating but Not Moving to Marker

Hey, I've seen similiar issues posted a few times already but haven't found any answers that have fixed this for me. I'm using Invector for the 3rd person movement and camera control so not sure if that's a factor. I've followed the invector AC integration tutorial. I've also followed the AC tutorial that shows how to set up a nav mesh. Basically I click on the hot spot to move to a marker but the player stays stationary but animates as if walking. I can move him with direct input to the marker and then he stops animating. I've been on this problem for a few days now so any help would be massively appreciated. This sounds ignorant but I'm not actually sure if I'm using root motion or not as I have root nodes set up in the player fbx's animation settings but use root motion unchecked in the player prefabs movement inspector.
I'm using unity 2018.1.0f2 and Adventure creator V1.66.8

https://imgur.com/NhOOdY4
https://imgur.com/5Ir0l8N
https://imgur.com/X1D9ZSV
https://imgur.com/hmAh5X2
https://imgur.com/WzJCsf3
https://imgur.com/Jw10qLJ

Thank you kindly in advance.

Comments

• Hey, I'm still stuck on this one. If I need to post in a different place please let me know. I've tried a few more things but haven't come up with any new behavior.

• This could be a factor but I'm using the Invector Basic Lite version which I was told on the forum doesn;t support full AC integration. Does this sound like a likely casue for this particular issue? Everything else movement wise seems to work fine so far.

• Apologies for not replying earlier, @Sean - it's rare that I miss a thread, but it was unintentional. This is indeed the correct place to post.

The integration between AC and Invector is handled by Invector's devs. To succesfully integrate a third-party motion controller with AC, such an integration needs to be able to detect whether or not the game is in a cutscene - so that it can decide whether AC "has control" over the character or not.

Invector's AC integration does appear to have this with their "Disable During Gameplay" checkbox in their vInvectorACLink component - though I don't see this attached in your screenshots.

If there is a limitation with Basic Lite, then you should contact Invector's devs for clarification on why this is.

When dealing with such integration issues, however, one general rule is to first test your scene without a third-party asset. This way, you can rule out it being an issue with the scene itself.

Temporarily, disable your Player and drop in the 3D Demo game's Player, TinPot, into your scene (in Edit mode). He can be found in /Assets/AdventureCreator/Demo/Resources. See if he works with the Hotspot / Navigation etc - if he doesn't either, then this is likely an issue with your scene instead, in which case let's see some screenshots of how your navigation is set up.

• edited May 2019

Hey Chris, no worries for not replying earlier. You have a whole global communitie of developers to shepard towards their respective games.

I was able to fix my issue by upgrading to the pro version of Invector and downloaidng the AC Link script (although I did have to completly restart the project from scratch) but then I encountered another problem with animation and then another problem with pathfinding not working with the Invector camera. I want to use AC for everything except the third person camera control which I was hoping to use the Invector controller for.

My question is do you have any advice on how to best handle this? Is there maybe a different thrid person controller or even the unity controller that works better with AC and doesn't conflict as much? Every problem I encounter with AC seems to be a result of Invector and every Invector problem a result of AC.

I can post new screens and info if needed.

Cheers

• Every problem I encounter with AC seems to be a result of Invector and every Invector problem a result of AC.

Unfortunately, this can be a common issue when using two assets that overlap functionality, yet are developed separately. AC does its best to offer ways to "relinquish" control of certain aspects in favour of other assets, but of course it does depends on other assets also not taking more control than you intend them to.

If you're only interested in using the Invector camera, and not anything to do with character control, then you will need to make sure that you don't assign anything to your player that allows Invector to take over.

I'm not privvy to how Invector works exactly - and again I'd advise you contact the developer for specific advice - but ideally there would be a way to place an Invector camera in the scene without also having an Invector-controlled character.

If you wish for AC to have full control over your player, make sure that their Animation engine is set to one of the built-in ones (e.g. Mecanim), and that their Motion control is set to Automatic. These will need to remain as such - so be sure not to attach any third-party script that would change these at runtime. Again, you'd also need to make sure that there are no Invector scripts that try to "force" control over him.

So far as incorporating a third-party / non-AC camera into your game goes, the general approach is to place the camera in your scene and attach the "Adventure Creator / Cameras / Basic Camera" component from the Inspector's "Add Component" menu. You can then assign it as the scene's default, and select it in e.g. camera-based Actions.

More on this can be found in the Manual's "Adding custom cameras" chapter.

It's also worth mentioning that there is an optional "advanced third person camera" package available on AC's Downloads page.