Forum rules - please read before posting.

subtitle menu doesnt show up in timeline

subtitle menu doesnt show up when i play the timeline either in game or editor(it does show up at randomly when playing in game)

it works fine using dialogue action

I am using Unity 2019
and just updated AC

Please help me understand the cause, thank you!
https://imgur.com/a/lVcq73L
https://imgur.com/SbdgauJ

Comments

• Edit. it work everytime i restart unity for the first time. then the subtitle disappear

• Are you getting any error messages, and was it working before you updated AC or Unity? If so, what versions of both were you working with before?

Does speech play if you play it through the Dialogue: Play speech Action? What if you set the Source to Adventure Creator.

The 3D Demo has been updated to use Timeline for its opening and closing cutscenes, when imported in Unity 2018.3 or above. Is that showing subtitles correctly for you?

• I find out it is actually cause by disabling the Character before the timeline plays
    hence, when i enable them when the timeline begins Ac may not be able to get a reference to a character in scene by ID.

And, another question, i cant not preview the dialogue in editor mode, is it normal?
    i tried both when i set the source to** adventure creator and unity prefab**

• edited April 2019

Is it necessary to disable the character? Please share steps to recreate the issue.

Be aware that you need to assign the character prefab in the track's properties - not the instance of the character in the scene. Make sure the prefab has a Constant ID component with Retain in prefab? checked (so that both the prefab and scene instance have the same ID number) - and AC will rely on this to "find" the instance at runtime.

Subtitles will be previewed as though the Source is set to Adventure Creator, regardless of the menu's actual Source value. It will appear in the Game window, provided that you've set the preview name in the Speech Manager to match the name of your Subtitles menu.

• I am now disabling the spriteRenderer instead of the Char gameobject itself so it works fine.

To recreate the issue
    i simply set the char gameobject.setactive(false) at start()
    then on OnPlayableDirectorPlayed event
    i set that char gameobject.setactive(true);
    and on OnPlayableDirectorStopped
    i set to to false again.

now i replaced with this and the problem gone:

SpriteRenderer[] renderers = obj.GetComponentsInChildren();
    if (renderers.Length > 0)
    {
    foreach (var renderer in renderers)
    {
    renderer.enabled = false;
    }
    }

As the preview game window it shows only a white dot with no text(so i guess i have the name matched) , but it works fine when i actually play the game.

• As the preview game window it shows only a white dot with no text(so i guess i have the name matched) , but it works fine when i actually play the game.

Can you post screenshots of the properties of both the Menu and the Label inside it, when the Source is set to Adventure Creator? I will attempt a recreation.

• Update: I've uncovered a bug that causes the subtitles label to not update in size when previewed for Timeline. If you set the label's Size to Manual and then increase its size, does it then show?

• edited April 2019

Yes i worked, sorry for late reply, Thx for helping out

and i wonder if i can keep the subtitle menu when i pause the timeline, for now it is gone.

Looks like it is not supported currently, if so it is perfectly fine, cant ask for more, just wondering if i miss something or there is a way to achieve that easily.

• "Pausing the Timeline" as in opening up a Pause menu while a Timeline is playing?

Check Also show when paused? in your subtitle Menu's properties.

• No i actually means when using director.pause. pause the timeline when in play mode