Forum rules - please read before posting.

Player Stuck After Animation

edited April 2019 in Technical Q&A

Hi I'm new to Unity and AC. I was following along with the tutorial for the Adventure Game after investigation it works fine if I remove animation from action. If it is the animation that causes the player to get stuck what should I look at to troubleshoot? It will only pivot but will not move. I have tried to identify a setting or something but no luck. Any ideas what would cause this behavior?

Comments

• edited April 2019

Welcome to the community, @square357.

Is this a 2D or a 3D character, and which tutorial are you following? Can you share a timestamp of the exact part of the tutorial that doesn't work, or are you using your own animations instead?

Check that you do not have "Root Motion" checked on the Player's Animator component - it'll prevent characters from moving if their animations do not incorporate root motion.

If it is unchecked, please share screenshots of your Player's full Inspector so we can see what your settings are.

• Check that you do not have "Root Motion" checked on the Player's Animator component - it'll prevent characters from moving if their animations do not incorporate root motion.

thnx

• I'm having a similar issue where if I have "Root Motion" unchecked, my NPC will Move to Point as expected, but will not follow a Turn To Face Object command in an action script. However, if I apply "Root Motion", the opposite behavior is true. My NPC will not Move to Point, but will obey Turn To Face Object commands.
    Any thoughts?

• I'd need more detail, first. AC/Unity versions, @PinheadGames?

Let's see a screenshot of the character's full Inspector. What is the result of (temporarily) removing their Animator component?

• Turning off the animator component makes the character move as expected (Without animation of course). Does this mean there is something in the animation that is preventing the character from turning to face object?

• Sounds like it. You've set the NPC's "Motion control" field to "Automatic"?

What animation is set to play when the character is turning on the spot? Try to redirect your transitions to block what it's currently set to, to see if that is indeed the cause.