Forum rules - please read before posting.

Perspective or Orthographic Camera

edited April 2019 in Technical Q&A

Hi! I'm pretty new to both AC and Unity, and I love how they work together. AC is just what I need for my project, a first person 2D adventure/mystery game. I have lots of questions, and here's the first one.

I wonder is there a specific reason why the perspective camera should be used for a 2D game in AC/Unity and not the orthographic? What are the advantages of using the perspective camera for 2D? I'm a 2D/3D artist and understand the difference between the two cameras and views in general.

I have read lots of forum posts, the manual, the tutorials, YouTube videos etc.

Thanks for your help!

Edit: I might use the 2D Drag Camera

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @Madde.

What are the advantages of using the perspective camera for 2D?

In practice, not much. AC doesn't enforce or push for use of one over the other, but with perspective projection you may find it easier to arrange foreground / background objects, as you can avoid having to scale them up or down to look correct.

When a perspective camera is moved at runtime, however, it does so by shifting it's horizon (Ken Burns effect) so that it effectively acts as an orthographic camera anyway.

Feel free to rely on orthographic if that's what you prefer.

• Thanks @ChrisIceBox for your quick reply.