Forum rules - please read before posting.

"Dock Player" functionality

Being able to be docked in a chair or in front of a machine (with constraints) is a classic little feature in some 1st person adventure games, and the First Person Exploration Kit asset does offer it out of the box. Of course it is doable in AC, but in a clunky manner. I wonder if we could ask for a custom action with this functionality. ;)

Comments

• Clunky in what way? What approach have you taken?

To my mind, docking the player in this manner would just be a case of switching to a separate camera. If you wanted to be able to allow a limited camera movement via the mouse, a custom script added to a SimpleCamera could provide that.

I think you'll have to elaborate exactly what it is you mean.

• Here's what I did with my FP player: I placed a marker on top of the couch/chair >> Call event: Disable mesh collider on chair >> Move to point: marker on chair >> Face direction >> Player constraint, freelook only >> Player dialogue ("I'm sitting on the chair" or something to that effect). Now getting back up from the chair from this dock on cue is somewhat problematic.

Your Camera Switch suggestion is a way better solution of course.

(While vastly less evolved than AC, I think this First Person Exploration Kit asset has some great features that AC could perhaps incorporate over time.)

• Yes, there's no need to physically move the player object.

Here's a wiki script for a constrained first-person view:
    https://adventure-creator.fandom.com/wiki/Camera_-_Constrained_first-person