Forum rules - please read before posting.

You can climb walls by continually jumping against them

Unity Ver: 2018.2.2f1
AC Ver: 1.66.8

Hey folks,

When jumping against a wall in my game it's very obvious that the player doesn't jump correctly, and, by repeated jumping you can work your way up the side of the wall to whatever height it goes to.

Is this something other people making first person games in AC have encountered? Is it even a strict AC issue? Any tips for how to fix this so jumping continues to work as expected and can't be exploited?

Thanks!

Comments

• In Char.cs, find lines 3751 and 3577. Replace:

_collider.bounds.size.y / 2f,

with:

_collider.bounds.size.y / 3f,

Does that resolve the issue?

• edited March 2019

Hi Chris,

I changed the value on line 3577. I couldn't find any reference to it on line 3751:

This change however does prevent the player from climbing walls via jumping.

I've also noticed that if the player jumps towards a wall they don't automatically slide down it as you would expect. Instead, they become stuck until the player has depressed the controls.

Is there any way this could be made more instant?

• This is a common issue with Unity's physics system, AFAIK. You can improve things by attaching a Physic Collider to your walls that has no friction. AC provides one with the "NoFriction" asset.

• All fixed.

Instead of attaching physic materials to my walls and all other objects my player might bump into I instead went ahead and added a 2nd collider to my player. This is a bit wider than the original one and creates a no friction 'buffer'. Like so:

Seems to do the job!

• Side note @ChrisIceBox, doing this to my player also fixed the wall climb issue which meant I could set the char.cs values back to default.