Forum rules - please read before posting.

Can I use the Object: Add action to save on scene load times?

Hi,

I'm trying to bring down the load times on my game's levels and am looking to use the Object: Add action to help with this. The main issue is that I have a really big texture(64mb) on a mesh I want to load in later in the game and not when the level starts.

I've created a prefab for the mesh and added it to the Resources folder so it can be saved when saving the scene after the Object: Add action runs. The textures for the mesh are not in the Resources folder though, but show up fine when I tested it. Does anyone know if meshes, with their associated textures and materials, added to the scene this way only get loaded when this action runs? I just want to make sure there isn't something I'm overlooking when using this method or maybe there's a better way to save on my load times, like using Scene: Add?

Thanks

Comments

• This sounds like a question half for Unity, since what assets get loaded when an object is spawned in is down to Unity. My guess would be that textures are preloaded if placed in Resources, though you might want to look into a StreamingAssets folder instead.

The Scene: Switch Action does offer an option to only preload a given scene, however.

• Thanks, Chris!