Forum rules - please read before posting.

All "Remember" settings are remembered even on starting a "New Game"

Hi

I'm about to release my game in a couple weeks, but there's a new issue I've noticed.
On starting a new game, all settings from the previous playthrough are "remembered". This includes animations not playing because the AC remembers they finished playing in the previous playthrough, NPCs standing in the final positions of the previous playthrough, and especially - conversation options being greyed out because they were selected in the last playthrough. All this when starting a new game using AC's "start new game" action.

Am I misunderstanding how to use remember functions? Is there any way to reset all remember functions to their original OnStart values on starting a new game?

Thanks

Comments

• In which AC/Unity versions?

Pedantic though it may sound, it's important to be clear. There's no "start new game" Action - are you instead referring to the Engine: End game Action's Restart Game option?

If so, and you're using the current release, then that's all you should have to do generally. Level data will be cleared when this Action is run. Are your e.g. variable values being reset?

• edited January 2019

Sorry, I meant that I after quitting to the main menu scene, I start a new game, which in this case runs an action list that basically loads up the first scene of the game. On a side note - would using Restart Game action be a better option here?

Variables seem to be getting reset, not 100% sure though.
    Another thing - I think this only occurred with my Steam integrated build (using Steamworks.net) When I ran a standalone build and started a new game midway, this issue didn't come up.

In either case, what's the recommended way of starting a new game?

AC version 1.66.1 (latest) and Unity 2017.0.2f3

• edited January 2019

Correction - This occurs with a non-Steam build too, it has nothing to do with Steam. In fact, this issue is described here as well - https://adventurecreator.org/forum/discussion/4213/can-i-make-a-new-game-button-reset-all-existing-variables-and-constant-ids

Attempting the method described there

Edit: Using Engine:End Game->Restart Game and setting the main menu scene as the scene to restart to, instead of simply doing a Scene:Switch to the main menu scene fixed this. It is definitely a confusing situation though, maybe a New Game action could be added, or Restart Game be worded differently? Just a suggestion :) I'm just glad it's fixed for me now ;)

• A "New game" Action would be equivalent to the existing "Restart Game" command.

If you just return to the main scene via a regular Scene: Switch Action, AC won't know that you mean to restart the game - you have to specifically command it to reset the variables / scene data etc with the Engine: End game Action.

• Got it, thanks Chris!