Forum rules - please read before posting.

Undecided if it's the right tool, questions...

edited September 2014 in Technical Q&A
Hi,

if only I could have a read through the manual it could maybe answer some of my questions.
I have read quite a lot here and watched and read many tutorials, but I still don't know.
Maybe it's also because I am still undecided about the final look of my adventure.

But what I know, is that I will need larger text passages. Can I define how the dialogue area should look like? I mean how big can the window be, how much text can I display, is the text scrollable and has it word-wrap? Such questions.

I'll be doing a mobile app, how is the touch control? Can I have a 3D view and and rotate or pan the view a little with dragging?

Can I freely arrange the ui, meaning how big and where is the main cam view, where are the command-icons, can I have a separate area only for the text output?

To make text clickable, what are the possibilities?

I already have playmaker, how much use is it with AC?

I'm kinda stuck, because I don't know hoch much AC can accommodate to my design, or is it me that has to accommodate to AC very strictly?

I hope this makes any sense to you and I hope that some answers will be given. I'm afraid to buy first and then spend time with AC and then much too late understand that it's not what I need.
btw, why isn't the manual downloadable before?

Thanks for your time and patience

Comments

• AC is very open, you can make the menus look like whatever you want. I think you will be able to build your game fine with it. Playmaker works well with it but in my opinion is not that necessary (depends on the kind of game you make I guess) but I use a different plugin that works much in the same way but specifically for dialogues, and they integrate really well.

I've put the manual online for you so you can have a look before you buy.
  • Thank you very much @hedgefield. That's really a BIG manual.

If I may ask another few questions?

Now that Unity 4.6 handles sprites so well, is a special asset like 2d toolkit or another needed? Or is AC taking care of it?

And most importantly, if the adventure gets bigger, thus having many scenes, how difficult is it to not get lost? Is it possible to work intuitively, thus not planning every scene beforehand? 

Thanks again for your time and patience.

• No problem Smolli.

Yeah the native 2D handling that Unity now posesses integrates very well with AC and eliminates the need for 2DToolkit. And you can make it as big as you want, each scene is seperate so you can rearrange them as you please, and put them in folders to keep them structured. For my project I sorta kinda know which scenes I need but I just set them up as I go along :)
  • "For my project I sorta kinda know which scenes I need but I just set them up as I go along."

That's exactly how I hope being able to handle it.

I'm not through with the manual yet, but I wish a few screenshots would have been added ;)