Forum rules - please read before posting.

Loom-like mechanics

Hi all! I have just recently started studying Unity in order to fulfill my lifelong dream of creating a graphic adventure. I'm thinking of buying AC, it seems to be the right tool for what I want to do, but I want to find out if it would be possible to tweak its inventory / hotspot interactions in order to create a game not unlike Loom in the sense that the main mechanics would be combining inventory items in specific sequences in order to affect hotspots. Let's say, instead of musical notes, you obtain ingredients and you learn recipes, and if you combine the ingredients according to the recipe's sequence and then use it on the right person or object, you get a reaction.

I hope this makes sense!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @rafagorgory.

AC does include a rudimentary crafting system that allows inventory items to be laid on a "crafting grid" in order to replace them with a new item.  This grid can optionally require items to be in specific slots, Minecraft-style.

Once an item is crafted, it can then be used as any other item - and selected/used on Hotspots in your scene.  If you want to separate your "ingredient" items from your "crafted" items, you can assign your items into categories and then limit their display to particular menus.  For example, you could have your "main" inventory bar only show "crafted" items that "ingredient" items can't be used on Hotspots.

More details about this can be found in the Manual, which is available without purchase here.  Crafting can be found in Section 6.4.

If necessary, custom scripting can be used to tweak the interface to your needs - see also the "Menu scripting" and "Custom interaction systems" chapters.
  • edited November 2018
  • Thank you so much, Chris. I'll check the manual, but this sounds exactly like what I have in mind. Amazing!

(the above comment was mine, I'm on a different browser now and had completely forgotten I had already made an account to ask the question a couple of days ago. sorry!)