Forum rules - please read before posting.

Character turning around 180 degrees after camera switches and character stops walking

Hi, I recently updated my Adventure creator and am encountering an issue I didn't have before. Looking for suggestions on something I must be missing in my settings. This is a 3d game, using direct control. I am using Unity 2018.2

I am having an issue where when the camera changes to a new camera/angle the player is turning around 180 degrees when I stop moving, or thereabouts. I have my Direct-Movement type set to Relative To Camera. I am using the keyboard arrows to navigate. I did notice it doing it less while using an xbox controller, but it still would do it. 

This usually happens more if you stop soon after entering a new camera view. I noticed it does it even when using Tin-Pot as well, so I'm thinking it must be my settings. I didn't have any issues until I updated so I'm not sure what could have changed? Any advice would be great, thank you!

Comments

• From what old version to what new one?  AC was updated yesterday, so "recent" could be v1.65.1 or v1.65.2.

I'll attempt a recreation.  This only occurs after a camera change?
  • Hi Chris, sorry, I am currently at v1.65.2,  I initially upgraded from 1.58 to 1.65.1 when I noticed it, but updated to 1.65.2 shortly after, just to be sure. 

Yes, this only occurs after a camera change. It's more pronounced if the camera change is bigger, ie seeing character walking from behind, then cuts to camera facing him. Once he stops he will turn around. 

I can try to build a new test scene and see if it does it with that. I just wasn't sure if I was missing something simple or not.

I know the controls are set up so that once you enter a new camera view you continue walking in the direction you were going, until you stop and the controls re-orient to the new camera view. It seems like my character is sometimes reorienting as well or is turning in the direction of the control pushed, ie up arrow even though I am releasing cleanly and not pushing again.  It happens more often if you stop relatively close to when the camera changes, if that is useful.

Thanks for your help!
  • OK.  You say it happens less when using a controller, so it may be influenced by your input settings.  Can you post a screenshot of your Horizontal/Vertical axes for your keyboard keys, as defined in Unity's Input manager?
  • Hi Chris, thanks for the info. I went back to an older version unity 2017 1.3 with AC 1.58 and it still was there.  Here is a link to images of the inputs. I also put a video on youtube showing what is happening. You'll see he kind of snaps back once he stops. I tried messing around with the inputs, but I couldn't get anything that solved the problem. Thanks for your help!

https://imgur.com/a/IRFGcQZ

https://youtu.be/9IGnAM-yBks
  • For the keyboard inputs, try a much higher Gravity value for each - say, 50.
  • Thanks Chris, that did the trick!

I originally was messing with the Gravity value, but never that high. I will be sure to study up on input values more to avoid questions like this again, as it was not AC related. Thanks for your continued support!