Forum rules - please read before posting.

Touch screen camera issue

edited September 2014 in Technical Q&A
Hey Chris. 
It's been a while but I'm creating something new on iOS and I'm encountering a frustrating issue. I have a first person player and I'm using touchscreen input with drag for rotation. I tap hotspots and my player moves to markers to navigate around my scene. 

The issue is, when dragging to rotate the camera, it works fine until I lift my finger up off to the screen. Once I take my finger off of the screen, the camera continues to rotate infinitely until I tap the screen again to stop it. 

If I leave the controls as Mouse and Keyboard, and start with the cursor locked, the dragging works exactly as I want it to on the touchscreen, however I can't interact with menus, inventory, etc. 

Is this dragging rotation thing a bug or is there a way to make it behave like I want it to? (Like moving my finger for mouse look and having it immediately stop when I lift my finger?)

I hope that made sense. 

I would really appreciate a response.

Thanks!

Comments

• Ok, I think MAYBE the easiest solution is for me to merge cursor locked and unlocked modes when using a touchscreen device with mouse and keyboard controls defined, because the touchscreen mode is not working for this situation. I want to be able to free look by dragging my finger and also be able to touch activate the menu or open inventory when I touch it.

Any suggestions on the best way to go about doing this?
  • Well, let's look at the first question, first - because that indeed sounds like a bug!  It shouldn't be necessary to merge the cursor modes, because you should be able to play it "unlocked" the whole time.

Please post a shot of your (desired) Settings Manager and FirstPersonCamera script's Inspector.  With luck and good timing, I can hopefully get this sorted out before 1.39's release.
  • Thanks Chris. I'l be working all day on this and reply ASAP. 
  • Ultimately, what I'm trying to achieve is for the camera to function on a touchscreen, exactly how it does when I build to my iphone with the mouse and keyboard setup, with the cursor locked, and still be able to touch the menu button, etc.  Thanks for your help.
  • Thanks for the info.  First of all, you ought to remove the "GameCamera" script from the First Person Camera, as this may cause conflict.

I believe I've solved your "runaway camera" issue when using Touch Screen mode, but I'm not clear what's wrong beyond that - simply that it "behaves differently from mouselook movement".  Different in what way?  There is a difference in that it's using Touch-specific code - have you tried varying the "Freelook speed" within the Settings Manager.
  • Thanks Chris, I removed the GameCamera script as you suggested. No improvement,  As far as behaving differently, maybe it just seems that was because of the runaway movement issue.

• Best wait for 1.39, in that case, and we'll revisit this next week.  1.39 should be out tomorrow afternoon, all being well.
  • Your new update fixed this issue! Thanks for your continued work on AC Chris!! :D