Forum rules - please read before posting.

Monkey Island Style - Persistent Verb GUI

edited September 2014 in Technical Q&A
Hi Chris / Everybody,

Really enjoying Adventure Creator so far. Bought it awhile back but am only really wading into it now. Have a quick question about something obvious that I may just be missing:

Is there any way to setup AC to work in an old-school LucasArts style, such that a persistent GUI with "Look at..." "Use..." etc. is at the bottom of the screen, and interaction is done via clicking on the verb (which I guess would be the interaction?) and then on the hotspot? I've tried a few things, but it seems like interactions are tied to the cursor. Having everything within the cursor is a more elegant and contemporary style, I know, but it isn't really what I had in mind.

I guess one thing that could work would be if there was a way to click on the verb in the GUI, have that click invisibly change the cursor to that style, and then just click on the hotspot... But I don't know how to do that.

If anyone has any guidance, please let me know!

Comments

• In the Settings menu of your Adventure Creator tab, you should have an "interaction method" dropdown menu. One of the options is "Choose Interaction Then Hotspot." I believe this is what you're looking for. Also check page 43 of the Manual to setup the rest of it.

Cheers!
  • Thanks, PixelArtist! I went into the manual and realized that the element I was missing out on was how I had to create and incorporate the Menu system. I've got it doing exactly what I need to now. That's what I get for relying solely on tutorial videos...!

Appreciate you taking the time to respond!

- Will
  • Got nothing to add, except that I'm excited to see the creators of Actual Sunlight and Last Life interacting in this forum!
  • Thanks, Guran! My next project was originally something I was working on in AGS, but I have now moved it completely over to Adventure Creator. Please look forward to it!