Forum rules - please read before posting.

No speeches if MainCamera disabled

Hello.
Yesterday I updated AC from 1.63 to current version. After that, I have no more character speeches when "MainCamera" gameobject is disabled. I have a lot of timelines, where Im using my own cameras, so the MainCamera is in disabled state. Before update I have no problem with this - speeches works perfectly (running cutscenes with ActionList:PlaySpeech inside timelines). Now the "Subtitles" menu (SubtitlesUI) isn't even enabled in DontDestroyOnLoad (if MainCamera is OFF). If MainCamera is ON, everything works normal.
Like I said - before update that works, after - not. Of course I can return to 1.63, but 1.65 have a few important fixes...

Comments

• edited October 2018
    In what Unity version?

When you say "no speeches", are you referring to just the UI part or all of it (audio, character animation)?

If you temporarily rely on Adventure Creator to render your Subtitles menu (not Unity UI), does it work then?

As it sounds like you're performing speech playback in quite a specific way unique to your game, please give more details to show how this might be reproduced.
  • Unity version is 2018.1.3f

"No speeches" means no UI part on the screen. SubtitlesUI (gameobject) doesn't set active in DontDestroyOnLoad on gameplay. I don't have audio yet, so I can't say anything about audio part.

I'm using default SubtitlesUI prefab to render speeches at the moment. Works normal if AC MainCamera object is active.

Im using this:
    https://usermanual.wiki/Document/setupguide.661138229.pdf
    to run ActionList with speeches on my timelines. I wrote a custom script "AC_Timeline Integration.cs", which interact with ActionLists. Something like this:

public void PlayACListState(int stateID)
    {
        GetComponent<AC.ActionList>().Interact(stateID, false);
    }

This script is added to ActionList with speeches (without connections between them). Now I can add this AL object to Timeline as Tantawowa Event Track, and play selected dialogue via script.

As I said before, before update AC to 1.65 this works perfectly. I'm turning off AC.MainCamera object via Timeline, use my own cameras (normal unity camera, nothing special) and play speeches from events.
    But after update speeches not showing up if AC.MainCamera is OFF.

I now - this is quite complicated, but works (before up) :D
  • edited October 2018
    In that case, it may be that it's not speech specifically that isn't working - but your ActionLists.

Does any speech play if you run the ActionList manually via the Run now button in the Inspector during this time?  (That'll run the ActionList from the start, so you can use a separate ActionList with ActionList: Run to test specific Actions)

Please also share specifically how you're enabling/disabling the cameras (both the MainCamera and your own), as well as how you're playing the Timeline itself.  I've not yet been able to recreate your issue.

Again: If you temporarily rely on Adventure Creator to render your Subtitles menu (not Unity UI), does it work then?

• edited October 2018
    Nope, no speech on screen even if I run AL manually (except that AL runs normal - green edging shows, and goes through the action lists). Also console shows something (before update that showed too).

I'm disabling cameras by using ActivationTrack on timelines (Turn on "Main Camera" for 0.1s, then deactivate it and activate my own "Camera").

In AC GameEditor -> Menu -> Subtitles under "Always fit within screen?" I have message about RectTransform boundary. I don't saw this before update.

If I switch Subtitles menu source to "Adventure Creator" renderer, subtitles still doesn't show up if MainCamera is disabled.

Link to screen with infos:
    https://pasteboard.co/HHtjnKJ.png

Edit:
    Nothing changes if I disable AC MainCamera by ["Engine: Control Timeline" Disable AC camera? true] ticker.

• The message in the Menu Manager is there for your benefit - it's an advisory notice.

I can still not recreate the issue under the same Timeline conditions.

The "RectTransform boundary" field's Recorded Constant ID value differs in the before/after screenshots - did you change it?  Please show the full list of properties for the Menu as given in the Menu Manager.

To solve this, we'll need to do some debugging.  Open up Menu.cs, and find the method TurnOn (currently line 1795).  Paste the following after the opening brace "{":

if (title == "Subtitles") Debug.Log ("Turn on subtitles");

Then find the method TurnOff (line 1888) and paste:

if (title == "Subtitles") Debug.Log ("Turn off subtitles");

In both lines, replace "Subtitles" with the name of your Subtitle menu, if different.

Then, play the scene and get the issue to occur.  At the moment, pause the game, and check the Console.  What is being output at that time (ignore lines made before the problem)?  Please post the message(s) in full.
  • I've never used RectTransform boundary. It always has been "none". Don't know why ID changed. I must set SubtitlesUI again after Update, so maybe this is the thing.
    Menu settings: https://pasteboard.co/HHDf2IG.png
    After debug: https://pasteboard.co/HHDlZwF.png

"Turn off subtitles" console log occurs instantly after game start. "Turn on" doesn't show up during timeline.
  • Your screenshot is cropped - you have "Collapse" checked, but I can't see how many times each of those lines are running.

Specifically, I need to see if "Turn off subtitles" is being displayed at the exact moment it should be showing.  If it is, I also need to see the message in full - so please paste the text that appears beneath (the code references).
  • Please also test the checking of the Ignore 'Subtitles' option? property in the Menu Manager.
  • edited October 2018
    Variant 1 (I only started the scene, no timelines) - above green line.
    Variant 2 (run timeline) - under green line.

https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/HHMZ6ir.png

When I run timeline, "Turn off subtitles" stops updating. And error occurs (I missed him earlier, because I turned off "show errors" in console). Error shows up insantly when custom camera is switching on (https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/HHN7Mna.png red line).

Ignore 'Subtitles' option? 
    seems to change nothing. This same errors.

I tried to recreated this problem in new project. Import AC plugin, open basement demo scene, add timeline with TantawowaTimelineEvents, Speeches, turn off MainCamera and Turn on my camera and... Speeches works, no errors, no problems. I have exactly this same scripts in my project so where is the problem? Im very confused now :s

Solved:
    Error affects Hotspot script, so I take a closer look at my Settings->Hotspot, and compare it to new project settings. I had "Display Hotspot icons:" set to [Via Script Only] and that was causing the problem.

• edited October 2018
    I'll remedy the Hotspot issue in v1.65.1.

Is that solved for just the error message, or the speech not playing as well?

If the Speech issue is still ongoing, we can do more debugging to find out why the "Turn off subtitles" message isn't showing.
  • Solved all problems - error and fix the dialogues visibility. :)