Forum rules - please read before posting.

Using GameObjects with hotspots

edited September 2018 in Technical Q&A
Hello,

In my game, inventory objects are things the player can fire out into the world as physical gameobjects. Like so!

The things the player fires out are just standard gameobjects:

What I need these to do is react with hotspots that are in the scene. When they collide with a hotspot they should trigger an action list (basically this is all akin to the player using an inventory object with a scene object).

What would be the best way of doing this? Configuring the hotspots to detect collisions with these inventory objects perhaps, or can anyone think of a better way?

Thanks,
T

Comments

• I'm sure Chris can suggest the best way to do this, but I would probably experiment with using triggers instead of hotspots. Triggers will start an action list when a character collider touches it, I would guess that launching an object into a trigger should work out of the box without even needing a script too? Certainly worth experimenting with.
  • Aside from accessing the Hotspot component to actually trigger the interaction, I don't see a big need to involve AC with the collision aspect.

Unity already provides methods to retrieve data about a collision:

By using this in a script attached to your spawned objects - and detecting the presence of a Hotspot component on any object it collides with - you can determine if it's hit something you want to interact with, i.e.:

void OnCollisionEnter(Collision collision)
    {
      Hotspot hitHotspot = collision.collider.GetComponent <Hotspot>();
      if (hitHotspot != null)
      {
        // Do stuff
      }
    }

As for triggering the Hotspot interaction, see the Manual's "Custom interaction systems" chapter.
  • So I got a barebones solution working last night. Not sure if it's the most efficent way forward, but I like how it neatly keeps all the links to action lists on the hotspots.

Step 1) Added a script to hotspots

2) The script itself has links to action lists and detects what the incoming thing was. If a particular thing hits, a particular action list can be started: