Forum rules - please read before posting.

Nine-verb hover inventory "look at" default?

On the Scumm games, the default interaction for the game is Walk To if no verb is selected, but hovering the inventory without a verb selected, Look At is the default and this triggers with a left or right click, not just right click:https://gfycat.com/PepperyImpressiveIcefish
Is it possible to have default inventory interactions as hotspots have (expect with both left and right click instead of just right click)?

Comments

• I'll consider it.
  • Really, really appreciate it!
  • This'll require a new "default inventory interactions" option similar to that used for Hotspots, the ItemSelectLabel script I shared before as well as some minor tweaks to the NineVerbs template (basically shunting the Inventory element in the Verbs menu to the top of the stack).
  • That's great, I can't wait to try it out! Will there be a way of keeping my existing UI mods to the nine-verb? I haven't changed any scripts at all, just the design, so I assume it'll be a case of not replacing the UI parts on import?
  • Just move the Inventory element to the top of the stack, as I said.
  • edited October 2018
    Any ideas what's happening here, this is with the new AC update and with inventory at the top of the stack. I haven't updated the nine-verb template as I've made many changes to the UI (not the code). The new Inventory standard interactions are ticked on and a default "look at" interaction has been assigned to this inventory item. I have DefaultInteraction input set as mouse 1 (rmb).

Hovering over the item correctly highlights the Look At verb, but left-clicking the item doesn't trigger the interaction as it should. Right-click seems to trigger the Use interaction, whereas I was expecting it to also trigger the standard "look at" interaction (the first clicks are lmb, the second clicks are rmb):
    https://gfycat.com/BiodegradableFocusedBinturong

Also, is there a way of having the verb-line change on hover? Hovering highlights the verb, but the scumm games built the sentence on hover, so hovering should say "Look at Qilinbian" not just Qilinbian.
  • edited October 2018
    Please leave it with me, I'll look into it.

Changing the verb line on hovering inventory requires the ItemSetLabel.cs script present in the scene, which is included in the updated template download.
  • Thanks Chris, did you manage to recreate the issue?
  • A fix'll be issued in the next update.
  • Thanks, I've updated! With ItemSetLabel in the scene, there's just a couple of issues:
    1. Now when I click the item with no interaction selected, it correctly looks at the item by default. However, with ItemSetLabel enabled, hovering over the item also clears any selected interaction, so it's impossible to choose a verb and then select the item for combining or interacting with. Disabling ItemSetLabel solves this issue, but it means the sentence won't default to building "Look at [item]" if hovered without an interaction chosen. Here's a clip, I click on a verb, and hover over the item: https://gfycat.com/SaltyIllAgouti
    2. There appears to be a 1 frame flicker when hovering over the item so the "Look at [item]" sentence can build. It appears as just the name of the item for a single frame before the "Look at" is appended by the hook. Here's a clip slowed down to 10% so you can see: https://gfycat.com/InfatuatedShortCamel
    It was nice of you to include AutoWalkTo in the nine-verb template, it's definitely a requirement for these types of games!

PS: Is attaching ItemSetLabel, along with other components needed in every scene to a gameobject prefab the best practice?

• Yes, you can make a prefab with the scripts on it for best practice.  The NineVerbs template should already include an "AdditionalScripts" prefab in its directory.

1. That's not as intended - looks like a bug.  I'll investigate.

2. I'll see if that can be remedied.
  • I've updated the ItemSetLabel script to address the issues - download it from the template file again.
  • Thanks for the fixes! Is it possible to have right-click also trigger the default inventory interaction as well as left-mouse?
  • You can map "DefaultInteraction" to whatever input you like.
  • edited November 2018
    Mouse 1 was already the positive input, I guess the script is using raw buttons rather than inputs? When I right-click on an inventory item, it just removes the "Look at" sentence part and changes it back to just the name of the item and nothing else happens. I tried adding mouse 0 and mouse 2 as well in alternative positive button, but it doesn't change it.

Just to mention, I'm referring to the defaultinteraction on the inventory items, not hotspots (which are set to only right-mouse button, obviously)
  • The script looks to the "DefaultInteraction" input mapping - let's see a screenshot of it.
  • Sure, here it is: image
  • So to be clear: "DefaultInteraction" is working for Hotspots, but not for Inventory items?

Do you have Set first 'Standard' Inventory interaction as default? checked in your Settings Manager?

If so, does it work if you map DefaultInteraction to a keyboard key?
  • Do you have Set first 'Standard' Inventory interaction as default? checked in your Settings Manager?

Ahh, stupid me, thanks for pointing that out, it works now!
  • Sorry, just discovered the "When I right-click on an inventory item, it just removes the "Look at" sentence part and changes it back to just the name of the item" bug is still happening, it at least triggers the action now, though. Is there anything n the script that is causing the "look at" part to disappear upon right-click instead of left-click?