Forum rules - please read before posting.

AC changes UFPS player height? (solved)

edited October 2014 in Technical Q&A
One more thing about AC and UFPS: how do I set the player's height? I want to make the character look smaller.

If I were to change the Y offset setting of the camera (player prefab's camera child -> Vp_FPCamera -> position spring -> Y offset) it works in theory, but as soon as I want to change this value during runtime, I'm not able to control my camera anymore. Also, when I hold down shift to run, the screen seems to zoom in. All of this doesn't happen when doing it in a UFPS project without AC.

If I change the same setting before playing the game by going to my Reference folder and adjusting the camera prefab's Y offset value, it gets even stranger: the value gets resetted to the original value as soon as I play the game. It almost looks like AC overrules whatever I type in here somehow.

What AC component or script could cause this? How do I properly set my players height?

Comments

• I can't recall an AC script causing the height to reset, but I can confirm the issues when changing the height, so I'll look into it.
  • Thanks. Any news on this one?
  • I apologise - I swore I posted a follow-up not long after my first reply.

I think it's actually related to the various state of the UFPS camera.  Navigate to the FPSCamera child of your prefab and look in the Vp_FPCamera inspector.  The CameraFreeze script in particular sets the position offset back to 0, 1.75, 0.  Whenever I tried changing the spring value in the inspector, it would revert back to 1.75, and this CameraFreeze script is the only explicit code reference I can find to this value.  Similar settings affect the position offset for e.g. running.
  • Thanks, it's not solved yet, but I have the feeling you're getting close. I changed the CameraFreeze script to be 1.4 set the default position to 1.4 as well. Now, during cutscenes and when accessing the AC pause menu, the camera will be at the height of 1.4, but during gameplay still something forces the camera to be at 1.75.

I tried changing the default postion spring value both in the inspector and by assigning the CameraDefault script and changing it there, without the desired results.

However, if I change it during runtime, it works this time around. But I want to make it work at start as well. Any ideas what else could be causing this?
  • Whatever it is, I think it's a UFPS issue - not an AC one.  AC's camera merely "latches onto" wherever the UFPS camera is - it doesn't manipulate it's values.  Better to ask on the UFPS forum.
  • It looks like this got fixed in UFPS 1.8. Case closed! :D

PS: For those who are updating UFPS, be aware that it creates new axes in the Inputs manager. These ones will probably overwrite the ones you've set up for AC, so be sure to set the AC axes back after upgrading UFPS. It took me a while to notice this after AC wasn't working properly anymore...
  • 1.4.8 ? Probably, wow this is a UFPS update ive been after!!... UFPS+AC=genius. Does AC have any sort of way to make missions, GTA style? silly question but wishful thinking :)
  • Variables Manager -> Create new Global Variable -> Label = "Follow the damn train" -> Set to "True" ;)