Forum rules - please read before posting.

Need Guidance for a Educational Role Play Simulation Game

edited September 2014 in Adventure talk
Hello Everyone,
                   My name is Prashant Patel and I am a Qualified Multimedia Professional From Arena Animation Academy. I have just entered the Game Development Area and an working on a project which is coming under the game type of ,"Educational Role Play Simulation". The Role Play Simulation Genre grabbed my Interest when I played a game developed by Awem Studios called, "The Island Castaway Series" which is really an awesome game series by Shamon Games. The game which I plan on developing under this genre is a tough challenge for a noob like myself, so any help in giving me a proper guidance in accomplishing this challenge would really be appreciating.
                   The Base engine is Unity3D Pro, Assets to help in the creation are,"Adventure Creator, Playmaker, UFPS(very Limited), Mecanim for characters Animations, ProCore, for GUI I am in a doubt as to which one to use NGUI, IGUI, Daikon Forge GU or any other which is compatible with Adventure Creator, for sound I wish to choose between Masteraudio/SoundManager or the AudioToolkit, The Inventory system too is a challenge as there are many Inventory & Equipment Assets out in the Unty Asset store, here is the list of some which I feel are great to implement,"AwefulMedia, Brackeys or the ones made by other developers called Lyle Barber or JesseEtzler", I need to know whether it is compatible with Adventure Creator. I am not good with scripting so I would really like a solution which is minimal on scripting terms. I even wish to implement the Particulizer Asset in the Project
Phew that's all for the basic layout in mind, anything else that you would like to suggest me for assisting in the development of this game please do give it as I would really appreciate it. I also wish to Implement some rivers, waterfalls and stuff like that in this game.

Thanking you all in advance for any guidance and suggestions you might have for a beginner like me :) is really great help
Regards
Prashant Patel

Comments

• Prashant,

I've been working on a project for a bit now where Adventure Creator is the general framework. I've been using it to create cutscenes that flow like page turner courseware, except I can animate in 3D similar to what I would do with Flash in the past. At this point, I've integrated Playmaker, NGUI, MasterAudio, and MateAnimator to name a few. I found the menu system in AC to be a little tedious for some tasks, so some of my interactions have been created with NGUI and Playmaker. I also found great benefit in including MasterAudio for my audio system, as AC has a strange system for naming conventions for audio files. Basically, when you generate a script from your dialogue, the corresponding audio files are never the same, things always get randomly updated. Besides being able to trigger my narration with MasterAudio/Playmaker, it saves me a lot of time having a consistent naming convention. Also, MasterAudio is great for globally managing audio files and converting them from 3D to 2D sound all at once. In general, AC and these other assets play very well together. I'm not a scripting genius myself, so some tasks I was trying to do in AC just seemed very difficult to figure out. It's an incredible framework, and if you are a great coder, there's a lot of things that you can easily tweak to serve your needs. Unfortunately, I had to figure out a lot of workarounds with Playmaker. Let me know if you need any more information, keep in mind that this is my first real project in Unity (So I'm probably not the best person to ask). 
  • edited October 2014
    P.S. It's also worth noting that the support for this asset is top notch. Chris is incredibly responsive to any and all questions. He's been very helpful for me along the way, not just in my own questions, but answering other forum questions that are similar problems I've dealt with. 

The dude's legit and so is his product!
  • Hello Friend,
    I'm glad that someone tried to reply to my query. I too have faith in AC and the Developer, I just needed to know whether some other assets worked in proper sync with AC. Based on your reply I now know that the assets NGUI, Playmaker & MasterAudio do work with AC and I bet flawlessly. I have changed the game genre to Educational Action Adventure Simulation as the previous genre had certain limitations to my project visualization and outcome. Yes I too need to create cut-scenes which uses another asset the particulizer which has to be done via scripts :( which is a challenge for me as I am no good with scrips either. The other major hurdle is the character emotions and animation which are really hard to make belief as real. Even certain animation moves like Planting, Harvesting, Picking, etc., I don't know how AC would handle such states. so I was planning to use the playmaker for those states.
  • Regarding the Inventory too I had questions. The Adventure Creator's Inventory system does not support drag and drop features. for that purpose I was planning to use one from the developers at Brackeys or Awefulmedia which has a great interface featuring ease of use and a drag & drop feature for the Inventory as well as the equipment system. But again whether or not it runs with AC is a big question that I do hope Chris can help with the answers. This project is entirely non commercial and is being made with only one mindset which is to educate the players on ancient traditions, for that purpose I have just 3 people in my team helping me out with it. One with the Audio/SFX, One with the Graphics, Textures & Videos and Myself with the major part in the Visualization, Storytelling, Implementation, VFX, Modelling & Development. So I really could use any help,,,,if it is readily available for this cause...Let's see I have faith and dedication and hope that this project would indeed make a difference on the gamers minds as well. :)
  • I still have a blinking mouse cursor though, so I'm wondering if any of these assets are conflicting with each other at the moment. Like Ghostbusters, don't want to cross the sreams!
  • I got a reply from Chris stating that the assets Playmaker & Mecanim are officially Integrated with Adventure Creator, The other assets are not officially Integrated. But according to him some users have been able to successfully Integrate the other assets. I just hope that the ones who have been successful have some great suggestions on how to actually go about getting them Integrated so that I can get my project done quickly :)
  • I have run into a problem,

While trying to recreate the evil layer scene using a custom mechanim model I cannot get the use animation to work.What am I doing wrong? How do I make the character play the use animation clip when I click the hotspot on the control panel? Any Help would really be nice.