Forum rules - please read before posting.

Make Player camera adopt rotation values

Hi,

I'm making a game with a first person camera and I'm trying to do a seamless camera switch that will eventually be the player's new point of view in position and rotation. I'm having trouble making the player camera adopt the new camera's rotation. I have the position figured out. Here's how I set it up:

-Player triggers an event and I use Camera: Switch to go to the new point of view.

-I then use Object: Teleport to teleport the Player to the position where the new camera is.

-This is where I get stuck. If I use Camera: Return to last gameplay, the camera rotation values goes back to what it was before the teleport which is undesirable. I've tried Character: Face Object and Face Direction, but it's imprecise. Also tried Object: Transform on the Player and Object:Transform - Rotation on the FP camera, but it just resets back to the old rotation values after the action runs.

Does anyone know if there's a way to make the FP camera adopt specific rotation values without resetting or is there a way to use the camera I switched to as my new player camera?

Thanks,
Jason

Comments

• The Character: Face object Action includes an FPS head-tilt? option that'll allow you to look up/down at a given object.  If that isn't sufficient, you can implement a simple custom script to do the job.

First understand that the FPS camera controls pitch rotations only (i.e. local X axis).  Spin (global Y axis) rotations are handled by the player's root.

The MainCamera has a special function that returns its forward rotation without accounting for pitch.  This can be applied to the Player with:

Quaternion playerRotation = Quaternion.LookRotation (KickStarter.mainCamera.ForwardVector);
    KickStarter.player.SetRotation (playerRotation);

The FirstPersonCamera can have its pitch value set directly:

float pitchAngle = KickStarter.mainCamera.transform.localEulerAngles.x;
    KickStarter.player.FirstPersonCamera.SetTilt (pitchAngle);

This code can be placed in a custom script and triggered via the Object: Send message or Object: Call event Actions, or placed in a custom Action.
  • Many thanks, Chris! Will give this a try.
  • Just now getting around to using this and am getting an error when I set the pitch value of the FirstPersonCamera.

I'm just using it in a custom Action.

override public float Run ()
            {                   
                float pitchAngle = KickStarter.mainCamera.transform.localEulerAngles.x;
                KickStarter.player.FirstPersonCamera.SetTilt (pitchAngle);
                return 0f;          
            }

And the error I get is this:
    error CS1061: Type UnityEngine.Transform' does not contain a definition for SetTilt and no extension method SetTilt of type UnityEngine.Transform' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Any idea why I might be getting this error? Thanks.

• Apologies - it's SetPitch, not SetTilt.

• Hmm, it doesn't seem to like SetPitch either since it still throws the same error:

error CS1061: Type UnityEngine.Transform does not contain a definition for SetPitch and no extension method SetPitch of type UnityEngine.Transform could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

• KickStarter.player.FirstPersonCamera.GetComponent <FirstPersonCamera>().SetPitch (pitchAngle);

• Thanks, Chris! Got it working.