Forum rules - please read before posting.

Problems with animal movement and head turning

Hello,

I have a problem with my new fox model which I want to use with Adventure Creator.

1. The movement via mecanim and automatic motion control generally works. My problem is that everytime the animal comes to a halt, it continues playing the walk animation for about a second. I already checked in the mecanim controller, that there is no "fixed time exit" bool set. Any idea what could be wrong? I think I remember having this problem with AC in the past.

2. It seems that the IK-Head turning doesn't support generic rigs, like the one of my fox model? Anyway, it doesn't work at all. I already checked all prerequisites and already do have experience with AC head turning. Just looking for a confirmation since I couldn't find any information about this issue.

Regards

Comments

• Not sure about problem 1, but yes, IK head turning only works with humanoids I believe.
  • Thanks for the answer.
    Thought it might work with generics as well since the forward vector is the same.
    Maybe I'll program it myself.  
  • 1. What of the state of your "Move speed" float parameter in your Animator Controller?  Ultimately the way your character transitions between idle/walk animations is based on that, which in turn is based on your movement speed values (walk speed scale, deceleration etc).

It is generally best to implement a Blend Tree for your idle/walk/run animations for smoother transitions - see the Manual's "Precision movement" chapter for more.

2. AC relies on Unity's own IK head-turning feature for this, so yes - only humanoid rigs.  Non-humanoid rigs can make use of the "Head pitch float" / "Head yaw float" parameters to blend between pre-made animations for the same effect.