Forum rules - please read before posting.

Best way to create and link different scenes

Hi guys,

I know this might sound like a bit of a newbie question, but I was trying to understand how to create different scenes and link them. My idea was to create a different scene for each "scenario" (this is, a different scene for each "room") and then switch between scenes when walking through a door or whatever other event. My first question is: would this be the correct way of handling this?

If so, then how am I supposed to create a new scene? Can it be created from the wizard as I did with the first one? I get the sense that this would create a new game instead of a new scene. All scenes will have to share some variables, which I guess will be global variables.

Thank you!

Comments

• You don't want to use the New Game Wizard for each scene, no - that will create a separate set of Managers, and your first set will need to be shared for your whole game.

When you complete the New Game Wizard, it'll ask you if you want it to initialise a new scene for you to begin working in.  It's all optional, though.  With the Game Editor's Scene Manager, you can prepare a new AC scene by clicking at the top where it says Organise scene objects.  That will amend the MainCamera and place down a GameEngine prefab, allowing AC to work with the scene and open up the Scene Manager properly.

For more on this, see the start of the Manual's "The Scene Manager" chapter.

Using a separate scene for each scenario is certainly the right approach, and you can use the Scene: Switch Action at any time to move your player between scenes - provided each scene is correctly added to Unity's Build settings, available from File -> Build Settings in the top toolbar.
  • Great @ChrisIceBox, thank you very much. I'll try it out!