Forum rules - please read before posting.

Is there a flag or variable I can check against in script to know if a cutscene is active?

edited June 2018 in Technical Q&A
Hello,

Basically I need to stop some custom scripts from processing when a cutscene is active. Is there a inbuilt variable I can check against or anything that is set to 'true' while a cutscene is active?

Thanks,
Tem

Comments

• Just found bool AC.StateHandler.IsInCutscene() in the scripting guide. Will give that a whirl.
  • That didn't seem to work as expected. It goes true for about a frame, but then reverts straight back to false. For a bit of context, I'm triggering a cutscene (which is the hippo conversation tutorial).
  • edited June 2018
    Ok, I've got this working but I don't know if it's the expected way of doing it. To succesfully block my custom script throughout a entire conversation I've had to do it this way:
    void Update() { if (KickStarter.stateHandler.gameState == AC.GameState.Normal) { //Fire FireProjectile(); } }
    While a conversation is active the GameState will change between .Cutscene & .DialogOptions. Things like IsInCutscene() weren't staying true for the full conversation. Would anyone recommend better ways of doing this or is this fine?
  • The StateHander function also includes an IsInGameplay method, which will only return true if the GameState is Normal.

Alternatively, you can hook into the OnEnterGameState / OnExitGameState custom events - see the end of the "Custom motion controllers" Manual chapter for more.
  • edited June 2018
    Thanks Chris.

Can I also double check, the way I'm triggering the cutscene via ActionList is by using this:

Is there a more appropriate or dedicated action for triggering a cutscene? I was wondering if my activation method was causing problems with AC.StateHandler.IsInCutscene().

• The "Cutscene to run" is more of a convenience tool - the "ActionList: Run" Action is the more dedicated way to trigger another list, with more options.

However, ActionLists can also be triggered via script - by calling its Interact method.
  • Thanks. 'ActionList: Run' it is!