Forum rules - please read before posting.

Narrator Volume

I'm probably missing something obvious. This can't be difficult to do. But I can't figure out how to lower the narrator volume across the board. I notice the game automatically creates a sound object for the narrator, but it starts with a relative volume of 1, and I'd like that to be lower. I can lower the volume of all the speech and it lowers it, but then I can't raise the volume of the other characters because the slider doesn't go higher than 1. How can I adjust the narrator volume aside from going in and editing all the individual audio files, of which there are many.

Comments

• The manual says to add a default sound to the scene for narration, but that does nothing. It still creates a new narrator sound object. I have also tried creating my own sound object called Narrator in the scene, but that also doesn't work. It still creates another one.
  • For now, I've changed GetNarratorAudioSource() in Dialog.cs with this:

if (narratorAudioSource == null)
    {
        GameObject narratorSoundExist = GameObject.Find("Narrator");
        if (narratorSoundExist != null)
        {
           narratorAudioSource = narratorSoundExist.GetComponent<AudioSource>();
           return narratorAudioSource;
        }

}

• edited April 2018
    Apologies - the Manual is incorrect.  The Default Sound is used to play speech-scrolling audio, not narration audio.

I'll look into making this more convient, likely by adding a "Narration override Sound" field to the Dialog component.
  • What's the progress on this? Just updated to the latest version, but doesn't look there is a way to do this yet. I went in and made my changes above again.
  • It's as I said in my last post - the Dialog component now has a "Narrator Sound" field you can assign to override the auto-created one.

The Dialog component is present on the GameEngine object in each AC scene.
  • Oh I see. I was scouring the settings in all the editor tabs for it. Didn't think to look at the component on the GameEngine Object.

I was rather hoping for being able to supply a universal prefab instead of having to add the Narrator object to every scene manually. I suppose this can work though.

Thank you. :-)