Forum rules - please read before posting.

Examine Objects

where might I got, or what would I do, to figure out a way so that the player can examine a 3D Object from their inventory. So if they click on it, it pops up in front of the screen and can be rotated around.

Comments

• There's a couple of approaches you could take:

1) Use the Object: Add or remove Action to spawn in a PickUp prefab in front of the camera.

PickUps can be rotated around in the way you're looking for, and if you map both the RotateMoveable input to "mouse 0" then you'll only be able to rotate it - not move it around.  For more on PickUps, see the Manual as well as the Physics Demo.

To disable regular player movement during this time, use the Engine: Manage systems Action.  If you use that Action to also disable Interactions, it'll also prevent the PickUp from being manipulated.  Therefore, if you want Hotspots to be non-interactive during this time, you can try having a script reduce the Settings Manager's "Hotspot ray length" field.  Any Manager field can be accessed via script by right-clicking that field's label and clicking Copy script variable.

2) Custom script it entirely, which might be the better choice since the above method uses the PickUp system in a way that it's not strictly intended for.  Again, the Engine: Manage systems Action can be used to disable various aspects of AC while a separate system runs, and you can also make use of each Inventory item's Linked prefab field to assign a "rotateable prefab to spawn" and have it dynamically pulled from a given item through script.
  • I decided to create a PNG overlay in the menu option instead. However, the subtitles are under the menu, not over. Any way to change the order?
  • The real issue that I'm running into is creating the menu picture overlay. I'm setting the image as the background texture, but the picture becomes really small when I choose automatic sizing. Manual works until the screen size changes, then it stretches. Absolute Pixels works best, but it will change in size when the screen resolution changes. Is there a way to get the image to stay the same dimensions, but scale with different screen resolutions?
  • If you're talking about AC-drawn Menus, then the order in which they are listed in the Menu Manager determines their display order.  Please see the "Menus overview" chapter of the Manual for more.

By same dimensions, you mean a fixed aspect ratio?  When it comes to AC Menus, you need to enable Force aspect ratio? in the Settings Manager so that the AR of the game itself is always the same.

When you use Unity UI to render your Menus, you can configure the Canvas / RectTransform components as you would with any other Unity UI object.  It's recommended to use AC to render your Menus for rapid prototyping, but Unity UI for final styling since the control options are much more varied.

The Manual's "Unity UI menus" chapter covers the process of integrating Menu with Unity UI.