Forum rules - please read before posting.

Animation frame 'flicker' between clips

Hi,
I have a simple scene set up, sprite characters play 'idle' animation, you click on them which then runs a 'reaction' animation then stops on another 'idle' clip (typically just containing the last frame of the reaction animation).  After clicking through a few dialogue boxes the character then runs through a reversed 'reaction' animation and then back to 'idle'. This works fine except it looks like the clip is popping in the first frame, like a 'flicker', after reaching the last frame.  I'm using 'Object -> Animate ->Mecanim (also tried Sprites Unity with the same result)->Play Custom.  If you need a visual to see what I'm talking about I've uploaded what I've done so far via WebGL here
Maybe related: I had to up the WebGL Memory Size to 512 (as suggested by the owner of that site) to solve an out of memory error that prevented playback. 

Comments

• edited March 2018
    The WebGL app is taking forever to load - how large is it?  A gif of the occurence will be enough.

Try pausing the game just before it occurs, and skip through one frame at a time until it occurs.  What's the state of the sprite at that moment?  Is it scaled / rotated / positioned incorrectly?

You'll also need to give more information about the details surrounding it.  What is your character's animation engine?  Characters should be animated using the "Character: Animate" Action.

At this stage, I can't say if this is due to AC or Unity.  What are your AC and Unity version numbers?  If you can post as much detail as possible in the form of screenshots of your Animator, relevant transitions, character Inspectors and associated ActionLists, I'll see if anything looks wrong.
  • The WebGL file is 29.7 MB, if you're viewing it through a mobile browser it might not work at all, I'm using a desktop browser where takes about 5 seconds to load.  Here's a video, presumably should work better: https://vimeo.com/261260017. Specifically, when I click the characters, you can see the animation sort of jumps either back or forward a frame when it should stop upon reaching the last frame.

I've watched the states and nothing seems to be wrong there, at least not that I can perceive.  These aren't actual 'characters', I'm placing the first frame in the scene and then adding animation states to it, played back through the Mecanim method within the Interaction after clicking the Hotspot. I should have mentioned this particular project isn't a 'game' but a presentation tool.  The skipping is just a bit ugly really, it works fine otherwise (aside from file size issues).

Unity is 2017.3.1f1, AC is v1.61.1.  Everything else is default, I'd started this scene with a brand new Adventure Creator instance.

• Thanks, it may well have been my connection.

Without screenshots, however, of the relevant ActionLists and Animator states / transitions, I can't give much advice.  I still can't rule out this being an issue with Unity.

Have you tried using Animator parameters as opposed to playing animation states directly by name?  That's more "Unity best practice".  If your animation playback is essentially just changing parameter values via Actions, and those parameters aren't controlled by any character scripts, then it could well be a problem on the Animator / Unity side of things.
  • Shockingly, doing it the correct way, by making actual 'characters' from the sprites instead of using the Mecanim way that I found purely by clicking on stuff, fixed my problem. I don't know why I assumed it would be more involved than just using the Character Wizard. Thanks