Forum rules - please read before posting.

Pixel Adventure Game - what resolution should my artwork be?

Hi all!  I'm very new to unity, and I have been looking for answers to this question but somehow, they all differ.  I aim to create a pixel adventure game like the ones from sierra and lucas arts, but want it to be playable on all desktops (in HD) and idevices/android devices.  In what pixels should i draw my background and sprites, and what camera settings/ otehr relevant settings should i use in unity?

your help would be very much appreciated.  thanks.

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @starfugger.

There are no exact values to set when it comes to this, but your game's scale should be comparable with that of the provided 2D Demo.

When placed in a scene, for example, your player character sprite should be of similar size to the 2D Demo's Player, Brain2D, which can be found in /AdventureCreator/2D Demo/Resources.

Note that this is not the same as the pixel dimensions of the image texture, but the size of the image as Unity defines it.  This can be amended with the "Pixels Per Unit" value in any texture's Inspector.  You can draw your backgrounds at whatever scale you like - you can set how large they appear in Unity once imported.

It's not an exact requirement, as AC is scalable - but using a percieved scale  similar to that of the 2D Demo will give the best results "by default".  For more on this, see the "Preparing a 2D scene" chapter of the Manual.

Also consider use of the "Retro-style movement" option for your characters.  This is covered in the Manual's "Retro movement" chapter.
  • Thanks for the reply, Chris.  Didn't know these topics were in the manual.  I went straight to the tut video (which is well done, thank you).