Forum rules - please read before posting.

Cutscene question - How to create a "5 hours later screen"

edited February 2018 in Technical Q&A
Hello, I recently started to use Adventure creator for my first Point & Click Adventure and I'm excited with how easy you can do so many different things. 
I have this question though. I have a cutscene where my hero makes a speech and I want to create in the middle of the speech a Fade in total black scene that will say 5 Hours Later with an hourglass animation for 3-4 seconds and then Fade out back to the cutscene and continue the speech and finish it.
My question is what is the best way to create something like that with the AC? I've thought several ways to do it without AC but I feel that probably it is something that can be done very easy with AC too. I just can't find how. thank you very much and sorry if this is a beginners question.

Comments

• You achieve do this by using a menu:
    1. Make up a menu with a black sprite as background image and scaled 100% x 100%, Appear Type: Manual
    2. Add a simple Label element to that menu with the "Some hours later..." text and position it where you want
    2. Make an ActionList Asset with two Actions: 1) Engine: Wait (5 seconds) 2) Menu: Change State with Change Type: Turn Off Menu and the name of your menu in the Menu to turn off field
    3. Drag the ActionList into the "ActionList when turn on" field

Now you only have to use the Menu: ChangeState with Change Type: Turn On Menu and your menu name in the Cutscene from which you want to show the menu. Your menu will be shown the given time and close itself.
  • edited February 2018
    Thank you very much... is it possible to play a loop animation too and position it where I want like the label?
  • Of course you can place a sprite instead of text but I don't really know if it could be an animated sprite.
  • Welcome to the community, @Excadrix.

In general, the menu system is indeed the best way to go about this.  By placing the "Five hours later" in a Menu Label element, you can have it included in translations should you have them.

If you want your Menu to feature a looping animation, you will need to rely on Unity UI to draw your Menu - as Unity UI allows you to animate an Image component to play an animation.  This involves building your menu as a Unity UI prefab, switching the Menu's Source field to Unity Ui Prefab, and linking each element with an associated Unity UI component.

A tutorial on this process can be found here.  See also the "Unity UI menus" chapter of the Manual.

I would recommend first getting the "Five hours later" label linked up, and then you can do the animation.
  • thank you very much! that was really helpful!