Forum rules - please read before posting.

Issue returning from paused UI during conversations

Hello,
I've run into a possible bug with the UI during conversations.

I have a conversation in a Cutscene that is set to Play in Background. The Start Conversation node within is set to override options, so the branching happens in the cutscene itself.

During Gameplay, I have two menus that are set to show. They are visible when the conversation begins, which is as I intend. However, if I open up an additional menu during the conversation ('DialogOptions' state) that pauses the game (i.e. using the Esc menu), and then return to the game by closing and unpausing the game, the aforementioned Gameplay menus do not return. This is not ideal.
Note that during Normal gameplay, the menus return as intended. This only happens during the DialogOptions state.

Is this intentional? Or is there a fix or workaround for this?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @Etrain.

Is it necessary for the dialogue responses to run in the background?  The problem's brought on by the fact that Conversations aren't expected to be run like that.

I've recreated the issue, and - assuming that the two menus you're referring to have an "Appear type" setting of "During Gameplay", then actually the bug is likely that they shouldn't be appearing at all when the conversation begins - and they are being correctly turning off after exiting a Pause menu.

One workaround would be to create a duplicate set of Menus that have an "Appear type" of "During Conversation".  However, as well as looking into this bug, I'll also consider introducing a new "Appear type" option of e.g. "During Gameplay And Conversation".
  • edited February 2018
    Great, thanks Chris. We wen't with the second menu option for a short term solution. It isn't sustainable for is in the long run with how we've designed our menus though, so the option to consider Dialogue as gameplay would be useful.

What if that list was a multi-select list of all the Gameplay states? That would be ideal.
  • There's more options beside gameplay states, e.g. when speech plays, mouse-over Hotspot - I feel it would quickly get confusing if there was more than one field to control it.  Regardless, the next update will include a new appear type setting for this case.
  • edited February 2018
    Thanks Chris!

I have noticed an issue with UI when transitioning from one menu to another.

We use the "manual" appear mode often for our menus. In many instances, we have 1 or more manual menus open, but if the player were to open the Pause menu and then click Options, the transition between those two menus will trigger the close on our manually appeared menus. They also will not return when we go back to gameplay. Is there a way to avoid this?

• The default Pause -> Options transition is set to Crossfade, which will turn off all other manually-set Menus.

This is just a convenience option for the default interface, but for full control you can have have the Button run an ActionList asset that uses a pair of Menu: Change state Actions to manually turn one menu on and another one open.
  • Ok thanks for the quick reply. I'll make some custom action lists to avoid this issue.  Cheers.