Forum rules - please read before posting.

Stop player from moving to where he already is

I apologize if this is something very easy that I'm just missing. But when an interaction plays that has the character walk to a certain point, I would like him to only do it if he is not already there.

Right now the player will do a little mini walk animation to get to the point he is already standing on. It rather looks like he is hopping in place. Is there a way to prevent this?

Comments

• What's your Pathfinding method, character's animation engine, and "Movement settings" in the Settings Manager?

The "Destination accuracy" slider can be used to tweak "how close is close enough" when it comes to making characters move.  The lower the value, the looser things are and a character that is near to a point will be considered "already there" if made to walk there.  The size of this "near enough" area is indicated by the yellow sphere at a character's feet.

For more on movement accuracy, see the "Precision movement" chapter of the Manual.
  • Hello.

Pathfinding method is Unity Navigation.
    Animation engine is Mecanim.
    Movement settings: https://i.gyazo.com/dae5c63b7067dc51e42d512aeba127a6.png

I have read that section, and also I did try adjusting the slider, but the slider makes him often stop too far away from where he is going. I am happy with how close he gets when he stops and don't want to change that.

But let's say I use X item on Y hotspot. It makes him walk to a marker. Then I do the exact same thing again while he is standing there. He is exactly where he was after using the interaction the first time, so presumably he is already considered to be close enough, but he very briefly attempts to move anyway.
  • What's your AC version?
  • But this has been the case with every AC version since I started using AC I believe. It's not new, I'm just getting around to trying to find a fix now.
  • edited February 2018
    And the Marker is on the NavMesh?

There should already be a check in place for this.  Are you using the Hotspot's Walk To Marker feature, or the Character: Move to point Action?  Is there any difference if you swap one for the other?
  • Yes, it is on the navmesh. Just checked to make sure.

I am using Move to Point. I just tried using the hotspot's Walk To Marker, and the same thing happens.

It happens everywhere all the time in every scene with every marker. I can't be the only person this is happening to right? :-/
  • Just tried with the Tin Pot character to make sure it wasn't something weird with my character, but the same thing happens.
  • The check isn't being made with the Character: Move to point Action - I'll correct that.

It is, however, being checked in the Walk To Marker feature, so I don't know why it'd be occuring in that case.

If you click in the same spot multiple times (where the player is standing), does he move around in the same manner?
  • edited February 2018
    Ok I discovered this:

When I said it didn't work with the hotspot marker I had tested it wrong. I set the hotspot marker and then sent the hotspot as a parameter to an actionlist, but within that actionlist, it was still using Character: Move to Point

If I set the marker on the hotspot I click on and set Player Action: Walk to Marker on the use of the hotspot, it works sometimes. At least he moves differently. Sometimes he still walks around in a circle and arrives back in the same place, but he never does the little hop forward thing. And sometimes he actually stays in the same place like he's supposed to.
  • The times when he goes around in a circle, it appears that he has slightly overshot the marker. He does it often a few times before he gets to a spot where he stops moving when I click it.

I'd really like to see a slightly larger circle to check whether he should move at all, and then use the smaller circle to determine whether he is there after he has already started moving.
  • Cranked Deceleration up to 20, and Walk To Marker seems to work reliably now. It looks a little weird that he just suddenly stops, but better than if he walks around in circles.
  • The deceleration value is also used to account for the "stopping distance", so yes - altering that value will improve behaviour.

Other options include the Attempt to be super-accurate option when the Destination threshold is cranked up to 1, as well as the Retro-style movement character option.  I'll address the original issue of differing behaviour when a Hotspot parameter is passed to the Character: Move to point Action.