Forum rules - please read before posting.

2.5D Backgrounds Disappeared

Hi, I'm using Unity 2017.3 and just upgraded to Adventure Creator 1.61.0. My background images are no longer showing. I did notice that the textures disappeared and have since replaced them. What can I do to get my background images back?

Comments

• Are you saying that the texture asset files themselves were deleted from your project?  I can't see how that would happen - did you place in the AdventureCreator folder?

Did you begin working in Unity 2017.3, or upgrade from a previous Unity version?

The latest update removes the "GUITexture" component from the BackgroundImage component used by 2.5D cameras, but these aren't used anyway since the 2.5D camera system in 2017.3 now relies on Unity UI.

Does your scene have a BackgroundImageUI object, and do your BackgroundImage components have textures assigned in the "Background texture" field?
  • edited February 2018
    The textures were not deleted from the project, thankfully. I did have to replace all textures. I did upgrade to 2017.3 last month, but could still see the background until I upgraded to Adventure Creator 1.61.0 yesterday.

I created a new scene (organized with folders) and did the following steps:
    1. Created a 2.5D Game Camera called DefaultCam.
    2. Created a Prefab for the Background image for DefaultCam called Default: Background.
    3. Assigned a .png file for the Background Image within the Background Image script for Default: Background.
    4. Went back to DefaultCam and pressed the "Set as active" button.

Results from this Test:
    • BackgroundImageUI folder appeared with RawImage inside.  It contained my .png within the Texture field.
    • I could see the background image appear in the Game Window prior to running.
    • Once I run the scene, the background image disappeared.
  • You haven't said you assigned the "DefaultCam" as the scene's default, but I'm assuming you did.

In what way has the background image disappeared?  Does the RawImage component not have the texture assigned at runtime?  See if you can find the different in components when it's running (and not working) vs not running (and working).  Apologies, but I'm having difficulty recreating this.
  • edited February 2018
    I did set the DefaultCam as default. The background disappeared at runtime. It was happening consistently on my end. 

I don't know if it matters that I'm running Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.3. Luckily, I am using Git and have temporarily downgraded to Adventure Creator 1.60.7. The background images have temporarily reappeared for already created scenes.  It's a no-go on new scenes.

It appears that for v1.60.7, the BackgroundImageUI appears at run-time, while the newer version appears while developing. I dabbled with changing the Canvas Render mode. It's initially on Screen Space - Camera. It appears in the Scene tab, but not the Game tab at runtime. When I changed it to World Space, the background image appeared.

• The BackgroundUI should have been created in scenes outside of runtime before, but only when "Set as active" is clicked in the Camera to preview it.

If changing the Canvas Render mode worked, then the images are being correctly loaded, just not displayed properly.  Could you post a screenshot of the full BackgroundUI Inspector (comparisons for working v. not working)?
  • Also, what is the state of the Canvas in older scenes that work?  If in doubt, screenshot everything and I'll go through it.