Forum rules - please read before posting.

Cut out sprite animation in 3D World

edited February 2018 in Technical Q&A
I am working on a game where I want the world in 3D and the characters in 2D. Following the AC tutorial I already tested it out, but... the tutorial only works on characters with a sprite frame animation (each frame the previous sprite is swapped for the next sprite). 

What I am looking for is a way to set up a character build out of various sprites using Anima2D (so the arm is a sprite, the leg is a sprite, the head is a sprite, etc and everything is animated with bones and IK). Although I get AC to accept the character and have it move around while facing the camera, I am not able to play the two animations I made for it. I am starting to believe this is something AC does not facilitate and I only got it to work cause I tricked it by telling one of the parts of the character is the sprite child (leaving sprite child empty makes the character rotate instead of bill boarding to the camera).

Is there a way to make this happen or does this acquire custom scripting?

Comments

• The dimensions of a character is independent from the dimensions of the world, and 2D characters should work just fine in 3D scenes.

The "Sprite child" is always necessary for 2D characters, however.  As a 2D character moves and turns in 3D space, AC rotates the sprite child to face the camera at all times.

You should find that dropping the 2D Demo's Player character, Brain2D (in Assets/AdventureCreator/2D Demo/Resources) into a 3D scene has him working as expected.

The difference with him and your character is obviously that yours is rigged - but again there's nothing to prevent that from not working in 3D.  Make sure that your sprite child's rotation is not controlled through animation, since AC will need control over that.

You may also want to see how he works in a 2D scene.  Try loading up the 2D Demo Managers + scene, and drop your player in there.  If he still doesn't work correctly, then it'll be an issue with the way he's set up - in which case, let's see some screenshots and details that show how he's made up.
  • Hi Chris!

Thanks for your answer! I will follow your suggestions and if I stay stuck I will post a more thorough post with screenshots etc.
  • Got it to work! I never intended to use an Up/Down animation so never provided the animator with these animations which prevents it from animating the character all together. Such a dumb mistake  :\">
  • The "Sprites Unity" animation engine requires at least 4 cardinal directions (even if up/down are "dummy" animations that recycle the left/right ones).

For greater control over how your character is animated, consider using "Sprites Unity Complex", which allows for animation through manipulation of Animator parameters (e.g. facing angle, movement speed) as opposed to directly playing animations by name.  More on this can be found in the Manual, as well as the provided Brain2D_SpritesUnityComplex example player.