Forum rules - please read before posting.

Player Movement / Rotation Problem Only After Building Project

My character works fine in the Unity Editor but when I build an EXE the character does not move or rotate correctly. I've made a quick video to show the problem, what can I do to get my build working properly?

Comments

• Very confusing problem. But I've found a fix:

This seems to be related to upgrading a project from Unity 5.x to 2017.x. If you import the /ProjectSettings/ from an older project in to 2017, it seems to have error with physics, but only upon building for Windows.

I was sure this was due to a certain /ProjectSettings/*.asset file not upgrading correctly from 5.x to 2017.x, so I went ahead and deleted EACH file in /ProjectSettings/ and then starting Unity and made a build for windows. After deleting each file, one at a time, and starting unity after each file, the problem was still not fixed and I could not pinpoint a specific *.asset file for having a problem

Then I proceeded to delete ALL files at once in the /ProjectSettings/ folder, and have Unity 2017 generate ALL files at once (instead of one at a time). This actually fixes the problem, although it's necessary to  rebuild tags, layers, graphics, build settings, etc.

The root cause of the problem seems to be updating a 5.x Unity project to 2017.x and bringing in the /ProjectSettings/ folder to 2017. If you are upgrading from 5.x to 2017, you should NOT import the /ProjectSettings/ folder and instead have 2017 generate those files brand new for your project.