Forum rules - please read before posting.

Direct Controlled Character - Small Movement Issue

Sometimes when starting a scene with a cutscene containing dialog, after the cutscene, the player will walk in place or walk backwards. 

I have the latest AC but his has been happening for a few versions. Just got around to looking into it further.

Steps to reproduce: 
1) Set up a direct controlled character (ignore gravity)
2) Create a new scene with player start
3) Create a default camera (the settings don't matter but it's best to lock the position so you can easily reference character movement without adding art to the scene)
4) Create a cutscene (when running: pause gameplay, auto save after) and set it to On Start
5) Add a dialog, play speech, player line, action to the cutscene (type anything in)
6) Play scene: Hold left or right while dialog is on screen, then continue to hold that direction as you close the dialog 
7) Character should walk in place or backwards

Comments

• Thanks for the clear steps - I'll follow them and see what happens.
  • Sorry, can't get it to bug out.  Trying with Tin Pot - does he also break for you, and in what Unity version?
  • Hm, It happens every time with those steps, for me, so it must be something else I'm doing. I can mess with it more and see if I can figure out the actual cause. 

I'm using Unity 5.6.5f1 (64-bit)
  • Okay, I think I found the missing component. It's all of the above plus having an action list on the Subtitles menu When Turn Off, that's set to Pause Gameplay When Running. 

Steps to reproduce: 
    1) Set up a direct controlled character (ignore gravity)
    2) Create a new scene with player start
    3) Create a default camera (the settings don't matter but it's best to lock the position so you can easily reference character movement without adding art to the scene)
    4) Create a cutscene (when running: pause gameplay, auto save after) and set it to On Start
    5) Add a dialog, play speech, player line, action to the cutscene (type anything in)
    6) Add an empty ActionList When Turn Off to your Subtitles menu and set that ActionList to PauseGameplay while Running
    7) Play scene: Hold left or right while dialog is on screen, then continue to hold that direction as you close the dialog 
    8) Character should walk in place or backwards
  • Sorry, still can't see anything wrong.  When walking backwards, are they moving in the direction of the input, or facing that way?

PM me a Player prefab, set of Manager assets and scene file to test with.