Forum rules - please read before posting.

UFPS-enabled Player fails to be instantiated at PlayerStart

When using an UFPS-enabled AdvancedPlayer downloaded from AC's site, and following all points of the UFPS integration, the Player isn't spawned at PlayerStart so I get a blank camera view at runtime.

The Player works as expected if placed directly in the scene.
When deleted from scene and called from Scene Settings, it won't spawn.
Please suggest a solution, thanks.

Comments

• Well, I've read the backlog on these forums and seems to be that AC's MainCamera failure to render (to begin runtime in a disabled state to be precise) is a known problem. And that's what I'm having.
    I'm just surprised that it still surfaces with 2017.3.0.
  • edited January 2018
    What do you mean, that the player isn't spawned or not placed at the PlayerStart?  In what versions of UFPS and AC?

Also, where in the forum did you find that this was a known problem?  Issues are not left unresolved when it can be helped.
  • edited January 2018
    Chris: I'm using latest version of both, and latest Unity (2017.3.0p3).
    I meant that regardless if I have a PlayerStart in the scene, or I have a Player assigned in Scene settings, or if I already have a hand-placed Player in the scene -- the UFPS camera disables itself once I hit play.
    Above, I've mistakenly reported that the camera works as intended if the Player is placed in the scene: it only renders UFPS' GUI that way, AC's presence is not even acknowledged. It's weird.

I found an older thread (2016-ish) where you said that the main camera disabling itself in runtime is a known glitch. But you also said it's likely a Unity problem. 

I've tried everything in my AC+UFPS setup, including re-installing both assets, and eliminating (deleting) all 3rd party assets one by one. Doing the exact steps in the Youtube tutorial. MainCamera still doesn't render.
    But since no one else seems to report this as of AC 1.6, I suppose it's a local problem on my rig.
  • edited January 2018
    https://adventurecreator.org/forum/discussion/5486/camera-is-not-rendering

This is the link, and I quote from Chris:
    "The MainCamera not rendering issue has been reported before - and I'm keen to address it."

I've added more details to the above comment.

• edited January 2018
    Are you getting the same "No cameras rendering" message in the Game window?  That's a separate issue to the player not spawning at the PlayerStart.  Again, it's not clear if you're talking about the Player not spawning at all, or now being correctly placed.

It could well be a local problem, I'm afraid.  In a fresh project of my own, importing AC, UFPS and the "Advanced player prefab" AC download, adding the scripting define symbol, updating to "First Person" movement and assigning the player prefab in the Settings Manager works as intended for me.

One thing you could try is to set the "Script Execution Order" of AC's UltimateFPSIntegration script to a positive value, to ensure that it runs after AC has started up.  You can change this value at the top of a script's Inspector.

If it works for you when keeping the player prefab in the scene, however, it might be best to just go with that.  I'd consider that the "safest" way to deal with players that involve 3rd-party assets, since they're usually designed to be present in the actual scene file.
  • Chris: thanks. In a fresh project it works as intended for me too. 

So my original project must be "corrupted", at least from AC's perspective. It's "No cameras rendering" when trying to spawn an AdvancedPlayer on a PlayerStart from Scene settings, and it looks like a vanilla UFPS AdvancedPlayer (without AC functionality) when hand-placed in the scene.

Now that it's established that it's a local issue, I won't bother you with it. (It still bugs me due to the otherwise evolved state of that project.)
  • Solved it: I found a "controlHub" script deep within my project belonging to a motorbike controller asset (of all things) that interfered with all things AC. 
    Thank you for your comments; my AC workflow is cool again.