Forum rules - please read before posting.

Hotspot label with player vicinity not showing

Hi everyone, it's been a while since I've posted on these forums, but I'm back with a new project (just started), and I'm having some trouble with a seemingly simple task.

My game has multiple control and input methods which the player can change at runtime. I've got that system working correctly through a custom script which is called from an action, however, hotspot labels only show above hotspots when the game is set to Direct movement: drag and point-and-click don't work. I have it set to detect hotspots by vicinity. I've tested with hotspot icons (which I don't want to use), and those show correctly, but not the labels.

As you can see in these screenshots, the hotspot is being detected correctly (the object is highlighted). I'm unable to show the hotspot label even if I set it to detect by mouse over (again, the object highlights, but the label doesn't show). I'm assuming that I'm just missing something simple here.

Here are the settings I'm currently using:

Comments

• Oh, another "issue" (this might be intended behaviour): head-turning doesn't seem to work in drag or point-and-click mode. This works perfectly with direct control, but I'd really like to have this functionality for all input methods.
  • On a technical level, this is because the lack of a cursor in Touch Screen mode means Hotspots are not being selected - only highlighted for reference.

I shall see if it's possible to add further options to allow for this, but this script in the wiki causes Hotspot labels to appear upon highlighting.

To adapt it to also allow head-turning, disable the option in the Settings Manager, and write the following at the bottom of ShowForHotspot:

KickStarter.player.SetHeadTurnTarget (hotspot.transform, hotspot.GetIconPosition (true), false, HeadFacing.Hotspot);

And this at the end of Hide:

KickStarter.player.ClearHeadTurnTarget (false, HeadFacing.Hotspot);
  • Thanks @ChrisIceBox, your help is legendary as always! That's working perfectly :)