Forum rules - please read before posting.

Node features

edited September 2014 in Engine development
I think it would be awesome if you could pick a different wait time for each individual node, not just all of them, it would be good to be able to select random too (with max/min limits). This would add so much more depth to characters walking around paths, the randomness would make it less predictable, and the specified time could be used perfectly for things like stopping at a shop to buy something, or sitting down for a smoke etc, where you could trigger the appropriate animations - this is functionality I actually need for my game :-)

I also think you should be able to set the player speed per individual node, this would add huge flexibility, for example if you are using a simple path, you could have a guy jump up a tall building or something, between 2 nodes, which would need to be quicker than the walking to get there. This also brings me to my next point, you should be able to trigger animations per node too, so as the character hits the node that tells him to jump up a building we can trigger his jump anim and increase his speed so he would appear to leap perfectly onto the building. 

Ive also noticed that if you push someone off their path they can get stuck and walk around in circles, is there any method to stop this? I see they get back to their path pretty well but not if there an object in front of them.

For now I have not used nav meshes with AC, just making very simple programmable "pedestrians" right now like gta basically, with a long enough journey that no one notices theyre scripted, plus using ping pong is a great way to double up the path etc.

Sorry if these features exist already, please point me to them, if not what do you think of the suggestions? Ive been watching a lot of the game Yakuza, my game is quite similar to that, and it looks beautiful they have all these awesome people walking around with various action etc, but I bet underneath its very simple, im sure I could replicate that sort of quality if AC could provide me these features :)

Really am loving AC so far, keep up the awesome work.

Comments

• Yes, nice ideas.  However, I think being able to adjust just the delay and animation would be too limiting: eventually someone's going to want yet another option, and the whole thing will just get too cluttered.

How about adding the ability to run an ActionList / Cutscene upon hitting a node?  The Character wouldn't continue until it's been run, so you'd then have total control to let them do anything from waiting a second, to animating, even speaking.
  • Sounds good to me, you know how best to do it :) So long it gives me the functionality I desire all is good. I would also like to report that undo is broken on nodes., this can be annoying if you grab the wrong one by accident (which I do often) then move it and realise then undo, and it doesnt. Apart from that hhaving a lot of fun making paths around my city.
  • Did this get implemented yet? 
  • Yes - look out for it in 1.39.
  • Thanks, when will it go on the store?
  • Also can you increase the max limit on pause game ? 10 seconds is not long enough really for my purposes (and making blocks of 10 is no fun) :-) Even max of 60 or 120 would be nice. 
  • Not sure about that one - upping the max to a large number would make the Action's slider useless, and it'd be less user-friendly to remove it.

However, you have a couple of simple alternatives:
    1. Create a custom Action that's just a dupicate of ActionPause.cs with a different name.  You can then set the max to whatever you like.
    2. Create an ActionList asset with a single Engine: Pause game Action and parameterise it.  You can then use the Engine: Run ActionList Action to trigger it, and pass a "pause time" value of whatever you like - it won't be capped to 10.

As for 1.39's ETA, no rushing, please.  It'll be out as soon as it's ready (a new demo game will be released with it, so I'm keen for it to be out), but there are many other requests and fixes to do besides.

• Thanks, I will do option 1 :) as for 1.39 sorry, I did not mean to rush you, apologies, I'm in no hurry anyway, I am finding so many ways to do what I want with the current version. I actually thought that you meant it was submitted to the store already and the delay was them. 

I now have 40 NPCs in my FPS, all powered by AC.. it is really starting to come alive thanks to this, which has now rose to the top as my favourite asset, since it allows such complex tasks to be done visually and easily!.. I even have 2 npcs who engage in a fight in and alleyway, using separate swing punch and receive punch anims, awesome!.. I've been using AC 16 hours a day for the last 12 days lol...