Forum rules - please read before posting.

Some UFPS integration questions

1.) I am doing a new game and this time, using AC, UFPS and hopefully Dialogue System, but I was reading the integration for UFPS and the instruction was:

However, you can also have the Player present in the scene - which may be necessary if you need to work with e.g. weapons for your game.

I happen to have weapons present in the game, and I don't understand the difference between leaving the player in scene, and removing and just using the prefab. Why choose one over the other? If I leave him in scene, am I supposed to remove him from the public slot 'Player' in the Game Editor->Settings?

2.) The integration doc says:
You may wish to avoid using Hotspots and other Adventure Creator-based logic, and rely instead on UFPS' Interaction functionality.

I am very familiar with how AC works, but not entirely sure how UFPS works. Since it says I 'may' want to avoid using hotspots and other AC logic, does that mean I should? I'm making and adventure game that has combat like Skyrim, from a first person POV, not ever really dependent on level of the player, but on the weapon he uses. I have tons and tons of story cutscenes and hotspots were going to be used for crafting and opening the treasure cache for the new weapon. Should I use instead do AC cutscenes, but everything else UFPS - opening the chest, gathering a raw material..ect... Anyone with some experience on this?

3.) IS it even possible to use UFPS+AC+Dialogue System in one game together? I have never used Dialogue System so I'm not even sure if I will be putting it in. I was going to use it for the dialogue trees and quests management. I still have a lot t o learn, but has anyone ever used it with AC, or importantly, the trio of UFPS AC and DS? I just don't want everything to fall apart since I'm using three complete systems on top of Unity.

Thanks, everyone.

Comments

• Perhaps some of these questions are best answered by those actively making games using both AC and UFPS, but I'll try to answer what I can as well.

1) Choosing a local player vs spawning one at runtime basically comes down to whether or not your player's Inspector fields need to reference scene objects and vice-versa.

If a player object is in your scene, it'll override the one in the Settings Manager regardless of the Settings Manager's value.

2) Perhaps the doc's wording could be different - it's not recommending one over the other, just giving you the choice if you want it.  AC's ActionLists can be run from script or other assets - not exclusively from AC Hotspots etc.  It's also the case that the needs for every game are different - so one project may need UFPS's Interaction system and none for AC's, and vice-versa.

3) I don't see why you couldn't - Dialogue System has a good integration with AC, and AC can be disabled when necessary if need be.  You should ask the author of DS for more on that aspect, but when it comes to UFPS, AC's approach is to make things as open as possible:

Again, every game is different - especially those that rely on both AC + UFPS.  The provided UFPS Integration script is really more of an example / basis, as it focuses on just the core systems like movement and cutscenes.  As AC doesn't reference the script anywhere else in its code, it can be duplicated and modified to suit your own game's needs - whether to disable certain components while DS is active, or whatever is necessary.